well just spent another 23.00 to make a table top around half my drum it worked out really well will send pic soon

H E L P ! ! !

I have read through all this drum smoker stuff and I keep hearing (reading that is) about using "food grade" barrels. Will any barrel work as long as it did not have DDT or Raid in it? Specifically if it had motor oil in it??? I can get all the barrels I want but they had motor oil in them and if they are OK to use what do I need to do to get the oil out? Cleaning solvent or just burn long and hot??
Thanks!!!

boy, i would really be careful about motor oil, I would think no matter how much ya burn it there would still be nasties all around, but what do i know. I would think in montana you could find some at feed stores or craigslist

OK- I need some inspiration for some table designs for the UDS. I've been toying around with the type I did for the WSM. Lets see what you got!
100_1554.jpg

Brian

My smoker

This is the table I built for my smoker yesterday 06/11/07

Attachments

• DSC00989.jpg
    DSC00989.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 4,083
  • DSC00988.jpg
    DSC00988.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 4,052
I love the table.
Does it make the drum top heavy?

"I have got to have me one of these!" -- Will Smith

tntitan -

Really liking the look of the table. Curious on how you mounted it to the drum. Hard to tell by the pictures. Thanks!

it is not top heavy at all and it is also a piece of solid surface like corian i mounted with angle iron it is what these smokers needed

Great idea - still not sure what I'm going to do for my shelf though. I'm thinking something not quite as large as yours - and maybe some type of drop leaf design????

i am going to orlando next month i am going to pick up the 110 gallon drum up there to start my next project picking it up at orlando drum

YEAH!!!! I have scored 4 barrels for 10 a piece....And the ability to get more when the guy has them......YEAH!!!!!!

Now, let the UDS Madness begin:twisted: . With all the wonderful ideas here, should be a simple process. Thanks.

Wow....110 gallons. Are you going to build a spiral staircase for it? J/K...Cool find on that.

Great idea - still not sure what I'm going to do for my shelf though. I'm thinking something not quite as large as yours - and maybe some type of drop leaf design????

i too am trying to figure out a drop leaf design. i need it to take up as little space as possible

Keep adding to them and you won't be able to clasify them as UGLY drum smokers.

i too am trying to figure out a drop leaf design. i need it to take up as little space as possible

How about having the table a few inches over the barrel itself? Sure would save some space while in use or put up.

A fella could mount a light weight tabletop on an pivot hinge which is secured to the side of the barrel. The whole table can then swing out of the way when the lid needs to be removed...or, just out of the way while cooking.

An old HD door hinge and pin made from some mild round stock ought to work...pretty sure anyway.

i am thinking if i can find a locking type of hinge that is large enough, put a couple on 1 side and attach some wood to it I have a drop table attached to my kitchen wall and am tring to figure out a way to duplicate it on the drum

Back