Opinion on practice rack

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I cooked a practice rack today while I was at the market today. I used an experimental new rub and cooked these straight with no wrapping, brown sugar, etc. I would appreciate your honest opinions on the appearance of the meat, both with and without sauce.

20130209_103428.jpg

20130209_103831.jpg

20130209_103732.jpg

20130209_103915.jpg

Thanks!

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I really like the look of those ribs without sauce. I have a comp coming up that is NO SAUCE ALLOWED Hope mine turn out as good

The ones w/o sauce look dark to me and the color is uneven.
The sauced ones look awesome. Bite mark looks clean.

Always hard to tell through pics but they look a touch dark in spots. The sauce helps hide it. IMHO

In the un-sauced picture on the bottom third of the ribs where the dips between the bones is more pronounced it appears that it has pooled some moisture or rub or a combination of both and left dark spots. Not sure that you could do anything about it other than maybe brush them every once in awhile but then they aint cooking. The un-sauced picture, to me, is much more appealing than the sauced picture, but i'm not really a sauce guy. Their appears to be a big black chuck under the sauce, not sure if that is a piece of rib that got brushed or moved over or if its a clump in the sauce but it takes away from the appearance. Bite marks look clean and beautiful.

Dag-nabit Neil :decision:, how am I supposed to do this? As a judge I'd give a 9 to either one of these if I was lucky enough to get them at my table. On a personal note - I prefer the dry rub to the sauced, but then again, I just might finish with a cherry / habanero glaze or a mango / habanero one.

I like how the slab looks before being sauced, it seems pretty moist, the cut ribs don't seem to have much color, the bones look dry but the meat appears to be cooked to perfection, the sheen on the sauced bones does a good job reflecting the light.

Like it.....Looks better without sauce. But for comp, get that sauce glazed and shiny. Just one opinion.

Your sauce could be set a little harder.

The dark spots may cost you in appearance, but taste counts for more points. I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water.

I think they both look excellent - if I were judging them, I'd give them a 9 for appearance.

Unsauced looks pretty good, but I'm not crazy about the dark spots. Sauced look a wee bit over-sauced (makes me think that I won't be able to taste the rib for all the sauce). GOOD CLEAN bite!
Just being critical (but you asked for it). Overall these are GOOD looking ribs!!! At least an 8 and probably a 9 in person!

These ribs look great! Nice work! How long did you smoke them for?

Unsauced looks pretty good, but I'm not crazy about the dark spots. Sauced look a wee bit over-sauced (makes me think that I won't be able to taste the rib for all the sauce). GOOD CLEAN bite!
Just being critical (but you asked for it). Overall these are GOOD looking ribs!!! At least an 8 and probably a 9 in person!

Critical is exactly what I am looking for. The sauce actually wasn't that thick. I just squirted a little on a piece of foil and basically wiped the rib thru it. I was vending at a market at the time and just wanted to see how it looked sauced.

These ribs look great! Nice work! How long did you smoke them for?

Smoked for about 5.5 hours unattended. Smoker was opened and closed a lot because I was cooking shorter cook stuff for the market also (turkey, hot links, etc.)

Back