Let me simplify cgwaite:

Burning some liners releases toxic pollutants. Avoid breathing these fumes.
Same goes for the dust when you grind off what's left of the liner. If you deceide on using a lined drum, take these precautions and, when your done clean it out with strong detergent & water. Then wait a day or 2. If it uniformly rusts, its clean and good to go.

I understand that during the "burnout" one should avoid inhaling any of the fumes, especially if the barrel contains a liner. Burning plastics release all sorts of noxious and potentially hazardous toxins.

But my major concern was that drums that previously contained paint would have some sort of residue that would render the barrel unusable as a UDS. I believe that, as long as the inside is burnt out properly, wire-brushed to remove any remaining residue and washed out with detergent and water, as you described, the barrel should be usable.

Thanks for the quick replies. I believe I will soon have pron on another UDS build of two cookers.

:icon_cool

I have a similar question regarding what the barrel previously contained. My brother has barrels at work that contained contact cement. Are these ok if burned and wire-wheeled?

The plus side to these is that they are free. I'm anxious to build my first UDS, and I'm about 75 pages in on the UDS thread.:shock:

ctbeerbq:

I would not be suprised to see benzene in contact cement. Do some research. Chances are good there is a MSDS number listed on the drum. Look it up.

Soooo.... it'll all burn out? And be cool to watch? And of course, don't breathe the fumes.:icon_sick

This post is a lot easier to read than the 3400 + replies under Ugly Drum Smoker.Norco's pic's pretty much make it idiot proof for people like me:-D

My local HF had these on clearance for $5...regularly $24...

Stainless Steel Yacht Cleat!! Would make a killer handle for a UDS..

95350.gif

Clairification.

Sorry CG, as usual I wasn't very through regarding my comment.
Paint, thinner and most everything else will burn out. Don't worry about what was in the drum
but steer clear of these so called food grade drums that everyone here seems to think are the only way to go.
More work, more toxins and just more BS.
Jump on the first Acetone or oil drum you run across.

Weiser

I would like to get a clarification of the statement. "It doesn't much matter what has been in it other than paint, it will all burn out after several good trial burns." Am I to understand that drums that previously contained paint (or primer) should be avoided? If so, what are the specific reasons ?

My thought here is that, if you burn the inside of the barrel out thoroughly, wouldn't any remaining paint be removed? I am sure that you would probably want to utilize a wire brush on a drill to the barrel as well, to ensure all paint residue was removed.

I have access to both drums previously containing oil and paint. The paint ones come as open-top, and were to be my preferred choice, until I read the above quote. Before I make my decision on which to get, I would like to know what hazards barrels previously containing paint pose for use as a UDS.

This post is a lot easier to read than the 3400 + replies under Ugly Drum Smoker.Norco's pic's pretty much make it idiot proof for people like me:-D
Agree it makes for an easier read but would suggest you still real the original uds thread. Some good information in there and gives you a better appreciation for how it all developed. You may actually learn something new!

I Agree Meat.

That is a great thread.
From page one, you'll see how these things evolved to what they are today.
It really is a must read if you want to understand how and why they do or, don't work.

Weiser

Agree it makes for an easier read but would suggest you still real the original uds thread. Some good information in there and gives you a better appreciation for how it all developed. You may actually learn something new!

Guys and Girls, I appreciate all the new ideas of trying to improve from the original concepts, but.....my suggestion to anyone wanting to build a UDS is to make the first one KISS and try not to reinvent the wheel as a newby. The original works fantastic and surely can stand some minor improvements. Build your second UDS with all the mods you think will work. Post the honest results and mod it again, but not on the original UDS. Just a thought bros.

I have been following this thread since last year and I have to thank Norcoredneck and many others for sharing your tips on the build.

I finally get a chance to start building one actually bought my barrel, cooking grates and other materials last year (yes, since last year but please don't tell my wife otherwise she will think I am crazy):biggrin:.

Long story short; how to determine if the barrel I've bought is lined or not?

Its a food grade and was used to ship grape juicy and I tried to go thru pages of the original UDS thread at the sticky but after 15 pages still can't find the info I'm looking for so please bare with me.

Any help will be very much appreciate as I want to get this smoker done within the next week or so.

Thank you everybody in advance!

Long story short; how to determine if the barrel I've bought is lined or not?

Does it have a red color to it? I'm just guessing that it does have a liner. A few people have gotten their containers that contained apple juice and those had liners.

Burn it and see what happens. lol.

I finally found my barrel. Found a place in Montebello that had brand new drums. I installed everything last week and burned but forgot to season it. How important is it to season the inside, if it won't really see any weather? (It's goes in a shed when not in use.)

The outside paint never faded either, do I need to burn it off of a brand new barrel?

I did a small picnic pork last week and I am really impressed with how efficient it is with the charcoal.

Right now, it's smoking a 22lb turkey.

Just finished mine. I love it. Thanks for all the great ideas.

Sorry to jump in with more questions from a newby but...I found a drum at a decent price...But I don't know what was in it...They said that it was a reconditioned drum, cleaned out, and then treated with a rust inhibitor...From what I've read It'll be ok If I burn it out a few times?..Any thoughts?....
Is there a proper burn out proceedure?....

I read about a couple of ways:
Put your air intake holes in her to let her breath and use an assortment of wood...
Or use a weed burner...

Should it be wire wheeled after the burn?
And how do you season it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Firecrackerjack

I'm sorry...I didn't take the time to comment about what a great thread this is...I'm building as described. I have every thing except the grates and a webber lid. Made an ash pan and the coal basket today. Just gotta weld the stuff up tommorrow...

THANKS!!!!

Firecrackerjack

Sorry to jump in with more questions from a newby but...I found a drum at a decent price...But I don't know what was in it...They said that it was a reconditioned drum, cleaned out, and then treated with a rust inhibitor...From what I've read It'll be ok If I burn it out a few times?..Any thoughts?....
Is there a proper burn out proceedure?....
Make your bottom holes and fire it up. As hot as you feel safe.
I read about a couple of ways:
Put your air intake holes in her to let her breath and use an assortment of wood...
Or use a weed burner...

Should it be wire wheeled after the burn?
I use a wire wheel on a threaded rod and a heavy drill. Keeps from having to get in drum. I wash out with a mix of hot water and Tide.
And how do you season it?
Spray with pam and cook a couple of fatties or Butt!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Firecrackerjack

Post Pics in UDS thread.

Back