Competing for the first time(rib cook off)

JimmyR1Rider

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm doing the Hicksville FD rib cook off on September 17th.

Never done any comp of any sort before so I'm completely green. I've been a member of the department since 99 and been just an honorary member since I retired in 2012 so I'm literally just doing it to see some guys I fought fires with and have some fun with a couple of buddies so I honestly couldn't care less where I place in the pack.

The questions I have is about sanitation as the health department is concerned. Mainly about wash stations for hands as well as utensils.

I know some on here have done this actual cook off so I was wondering what you guys did in these areas? Or anyone that would have info on how to go about it to where the health dept. won't shut me down.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
If you don't have a portable 3 compartment sink (some comp teams do, but a lot don't), you can usually use 3 - 5 gallon buckets.
Mark them on the outside with marker what they are.

Clean (hot water with detergent)

Rinse (Clean rinse water)

Sanitize (Bleach water)

Unless they are requiring you to have a wash system, for just a single rib cook, you would practically only need to use utensils once, and I would use and take home to wash. The exception would be a cutting board and you could get disposibles for that.

All you need is 3 bus tubs and some soap and bleach tablets. I've been doing Hicksville for a few years (Grand Champion last year). If you have any questions, PM me. I'll be there this year defending my title :becky:.

Well, so much for that. My dog sitter(my aunt) injured her eye and was at the hospital today. Rib cook off is not in the books for me after all.

Was looking forward to doing my first one but I guess there's always next year.

Besides, my aunt's well being obviously is much more important than the cook off. Still sucks though.

Jimmy, I admire you for putting family first. Maybe you can at least stop by for a cold one or two with your friends. That would satisfy the need to see your buddies.

Back