Are Craycort Grill Grates Worth It?

Goyo626

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I found what i thought was a good deal for a 22.5" weber kettle (paid 45 for kettle, 2 charcoal baskets, a charcoal chiminey, tongs, and wire brush). The grates are decent but don't heat as evenly or sear meat as well as id like.I was wondering if the craycort grates are superior and worth the investment.

Many folks here have Craycort and love them - I have Grill Grates and am real pleased, and I have a few $ more in my kick :p

There are a couple of other less expensive Cast iron grates for the Weber kettle out there or you might also try a replacement grate panel from Chargriller.com to lay on top your existing grate or Lodge mfg makes this:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-Pre-Seasoned-Barbecue-Grill/dp/B00063RXLU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372085687&sr=8-1&keywords=lodge+grill+grate"]Amazon.com: Lodge Logic Pre-Seasoned Barbecue Grill/Grate: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

You will be happier with grill grates in the long run. I have 3 sets.

Love my grill grates! Less upkeep than cast iron and make a great flat top grill to get an amazing all over sear on steaks.

after the brethren's advice and doing some research im leaning toward the grill grates has anyone used both the craycort or similar CI grates and grill grates. Which is "better"?

I have them and love them. Sometimes it's a pain to take out because I like to light the chimney on the charcoal grate but other than that they cook great and retain heat much better for searing.

Any cast iron is IMO vastly superior to the wire grates for grilling. I happen to have a rectangular grate that is a perfect fit for a 22.5 kettle.

DSC_3842-PP.JPG

What I particularly like about it is the bars are 3/4" tall and spaced very closely.

I also use the CI grate from my Lodge Sportsman's Grill on an 18.5 kettle.

IMG_20130604_181004_986-1024.jpg

I'm thinking about a Craycourt for my charcoal Go Anywhere.

Back