Use of the Big Green Egg

Btheezy

Reaction score
So, I am just wondering what every that has a BGE uses it for. When I first got mine, I used it for literally everything I could think of. No I seem to only use it for slow cooking and smoking. I typically use my Weber for searing and hot cooks due to the fact that the meat is so close to the coals. So what about y'all?

My kettle has become a storage for all my eggcessories. I use the BGE for grilling mostly, and occasionally a brisket or a couple of racks of ribs. I have 2 WSM a 18.5 and 22.5. So I use those for most of my average size slow cooks. Then use my 6' reverse flow for comps and big cooks.

Everything. Pork Shoulders, prime rib, steaks, burgers, chicken, Thanksgiving Turkey, meatloaf, pizza, bread, even Carmel rolls. Anything you can make on a smoker, an oven or a grill. It really is an amazing machine.

I'll admit I cheat and use a BBQ guru for anything that requires baking or smoking.

I love doing slow cooks on it because it holds the temp extremely well. Maybe I need to fire er up and grill some burgers or something on it sometime, its been a while so maybe my opinion is a little misconstrued.:doh:

Everything but broiling and I'm workin on that.CI skillet full of coals set atop firebricks with meat on the grid underneath.

I'm at the crossroads of purchasing a BGE, Primo, or Weber to better sear steaks than my current setup. From what I've learned, kamado grills get a great deal hotter than Webers.

What size is your BGE?

I would encourage anyone thinking of buying an Egg, and those that have been cooking with one to try to attend an Eggfest in your area. I've cooked on demo Eggs the past 4 years, and bought my second Large at one.

Just when you think you have seen it all, leave to an Egghead to come up with another use for the orb!

you can do anything but microwave in it :clap2:, and you can do these things at an extreme range of temperatures

Deep fry:

IMG_0389.jpg

Bake dinner:

116.jpg

Bake dessert:

IMG_2011.jpg

saute:

IMG_4564.jpg

braise:

006.jpg

of course grill:

IMG_2474.jpg

& smoke:

IMG_1891.jpg

someone mentioned that you cannot broil, & while it may not be the ideal broiler, you certain can cook from the top down if you configure it properly. Get it good & hot so the dome is radiating a ton of heat, then put in a plate setter & elevated stone & whatever you are trying to brown on top.

Anything...from smoking cheeses to searing steaks...and everything in between!

I miss RTD. That guy could really show off everything you can do on an Egg.

I was on the opposite end of the spectrum from you for most of last year. I used my BGE mostly for grilling. When I got my 22 WSM, I started using it for all my smoking needs, so I could learn it's nuances.

Now though, I've been using whichever cooker will best support my needs. Cooking 1 Brisket? Fire up the Egg. Cooking 6 racks of ribs? Fire up the WSM.

Last night I grilled 4 cheeseburgers and some bacon wrapped asparagus on the Egg.

When the BGE does it better...why use anything else?

I'm at the crossroads of purchasing a BGE, Primo, or Weber to better sear steaks than my current setup. From what I've learned, kamado grills get a great deal hotter than Webers.

What size is your BGE?

I have the large. It is 18.5". I love it to cook steaks and pretty much everything, but I think I have it in the wrong place in my back yard, its in the far back corner in a heavy arse table that is quite cumbersome to move. I have decided to back burner my weber for a while and go back to the egg...

you can do anything but microwave in it :clap2:, and you can do these things at an extreme range of temperatures

Deep fry:

IMG_0389.jpg

Bake dinner:

116.jpg

Bake dessert:

IMG_2011.jpg

saute:

IMG_4564.jpg

braise:

006.jpg

of course grill:

IMG_2474.jpg

& smoke:

IMG_1891.jpg

someone mentioned that you cannot broil, & while it may not be the ideal broiler, you certain can cook from the top down if you configure it properly. Get it good & hot so the dome is radiating a ton of heat, then put in a plate setter & elevated stone & whatever you are trying to brown on top.

I think I somehow forgot how amazing that dang thing is! Thanks for the reminder!:doh::thumb::clap2:

I use my BGE for everything. I just don't use it every time I cook.

I may have too many toys to cook on, if that's possible.

Last edited:
Back