View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 06:59 AM   #17
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Food Detectives actually did a story on dry-aged beef vs regular beef, with some tastes tests. I couldn't find a link to the actual episode, but I did find the host's blog that talks about. Personally, I like dry aged beef, but I'm more than happy without it. I've had it a few times at the upscale restaurants here in Atlanta. Here is the blog:

"We were here shooting a Food Detectives segment on how dry-aged beef is processed, and why it produces the finest steak-eatin’ experience money can buy—and it was fascinating. The upshot, for those who don’t know: All steak needs to age somewhat before it’s sold and cooked. Even the regular steaks you buy in the grocery store have aged a couple of weeks; this allows some moisture to escape, concentrating the meaty flavor, and allows naturally occurring bacteria in the meat to break it down a little and make it more tender.
In dry aging, though, the meat is allowed to age for another 21 to 30 days, under carefully monitored conditions. The result is meat that looks terrible on the outside—dark, dried-up and crusty. It also drives up the cost of the meat, both because it loses weight and shrinks as it dries, and, of course, because storing it and putting it through the process is expensive. But, man, is it worth it. When that dark, crusty exterior is cut off, what remains is steak that looks as red, juicy and wonderful as any you’re ever seen. And the flavor can’t be beat. To try it, visit a fine steakhouse in your town—and, if possible, bring somebody else’s credit card".
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote