Chicken for 40

toadhunter911

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
My church is in one of the more desperate neighborhoods in Detroit. We do a "neighborhood" service after the traditional service every Sunday. After the service we serve a lunch (Feeding body and soul). I'm going to smoke leg quarters for next week, but have a question.

I'm debating weather to borrow a trailer and take ole smokey to church, and cook "live", or to smoke at home Saturday and put the chicken into foil trays and reheat at church. Worried what will happen to the skin.

We do 1200 chicken halves every fall over a large charcoal pit.
We do 600 halves per day, I recommend cooking onsite!
The food is hot and juicy. That is what I would do.

+1. Almost every catering gig I do with chicken is cooked on site.

I have a job coming up where they've requested chicken for 40 also. My issue is their event falls on the same weekend as "the jack" and we always go down to volunteer. I was planning on cooking leg quarters at home then pulling and vacuum sealing it all (approx 10 lbs cooked). Never done it that way... hoping it doesn't turn into a mushy mess.

I have a job coming up where they've requested chicken for 40 also. My issue is their event falls on the same weekend as "the jack" and we always go down to volunteer. I was planning on cooking leg quarters at home then pulling and vacuum sealing it all (approx 10 lbs cooked). Never done it that way... hoping it doesn't turn into a mushy mess.

I've done the pull and vacuum seal before on leg quarters. It worked great.

Lunch went off without a hitch. Hauled the chargriller down to church this morning and set-up before church. Got the fire burning about 9:45. Had to cook two batches 'cause there wasn't enough grill space. I may have convinced my wife I really need that new Lang 48. Anyways here's a little phone pron from this morning. The first one is from the first batch, about half way done. The second is the second batch, right after saucing.

303256_2060829091591_1570606209_31794309_1568659936_n.jpg

301210_2061005055990_1570606209_31794478_1287790097_n.jpg

glad it worked out for you :thumb: I love chicken btw :heh:

It was a huge hit. We also made potato salad, crock pot beans, collards (using smoked neck bones for flavor), fruit salad, and homemade brownies. Next week we're making Pasta e fagioli with a garden salad and fresh bread sticks.

Nice! I think that cooking on site helps add to the event as well - people love smelling that smell and being around the grill - that's the kind of stuff you remember.

Back