Started my "Northwoods Amateur" build tonight (BWS Pro Clone)

It comes up through the walls. Each wall has 3 layers to it. You have the metal that makes the inside of the smoking cabinet, then a 1" air gap, another piece of sheet metal, 1" of insulation, then the outer skin. The inner metal stops a couple inches short of the top so the smoke/heat travels up the walls, comes out the top, has to drop down to the holes in the bottom, up and out.

I see it now. Thanks for clearing that up for me. So it is a vertical reverse flow smoker. Very cool.

I need to put the fiberglass gasket on the doors tonight before I can mount them. Any advice on where I should put the seam/splice of the gasket? On a corner, bottom, side, top, etc? Don't think it will matter much but maybe there's something I'm not thinking of.

Smoke is so close I can taste it!!!

We have doors

IMG_4153-vi.jpg

Latches

IMG_4154-vi.jpg

Seals up nice n tight. Not anticipating and leaks

IMG_4156-vi.jpg

Hoping for initial burn sometime this weekend!! I can't wait!!

What a great build!:clap: Hoping for some cook pron from ya this weekend myself!

I know I just saw it in person two days ago, but it looks much different with the doors on! Hope you get it fired up this weekend.

No pron yet and when I stopped tonight my SS water pan wasn't ready so that bummed me out a bit. Guy said he'd probably get to it tomorrow but I may not be able to make it to his shop before he closes for the weekend.

Either way I plan on doing at least a seasoning smoke this weekend. Maybe I'll do a biscuit test as well. Was hoping to do some ribs or something but that can wait. Once I'm sure it's good to go I'll spend next week on cleaning, prepping and painting so it'll be ready to rock!

Lookin good. I just picked up my new pit tonight. Gonna start a fire in it tomorow. Cant wait.

How does the smoke get to the meat?

Basically it travels up through the wall. There is an inner sheet in the middle of each wall, smoke and heat travel up the inside and the outer half is insulation. Then there is a gap at the top where the smoke and heat enter, fall down over the meat, out the holes in the back/bottom and out the smoke stack. Basically a vertical reverse flow smoker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lookin good. I just picked up my new pit tonight. Gonna start a fire in it tomorow. Cant wait.

Excellent, what did you end up going with? I'm assuming you had success selling your old one?

You might want to put some thin 3/4" strips of sheet metal over the flange of your gaskets to help support them. I had a few pull through in the past if the door sticks or the gasket gets a bit wet. Just a thought, other than that it looks good!

You might want to put some thin 3/4" strips of sheet metal over the flange of your gaskets to help support them. I had a few pull through in the past if the door sticks or the gasket gets a bit wet. Just a thought, other than that it looks good!

Thanks. I thought that might be a problem. I was thinking of using washers on each screw but I have some strap metal I could use along the whole length. Might have to do that.

Rollin' some smoke for the first time. This was while I was getting the fire up to temp.

a69362f1-3e8f-864b.jpg

Set the stoker to 275 and overshot my temp by nearly 100 degrees. Got some learning to do but once I get it figured out i think she'll do a good job.

a69362f1-3f2b-b8a2.jpg

More to come.

Back