View Single Post
Old 07-14-2017, 10:21 AM   #1
TrustTheDust
Full Fledged Farker

Default Recipe: KC Banh Mi with slow-smoked pork belly burnt ends

Happy Friday!
This week I entered a BBQ recipe contest hosted by Rufus Teague (in which you had to use their product and develop a recipe using it) and decided to enter in hopes of upgrading my UDS! Figured I would go ahead and share the finished product with you fine people. Honestly I was blown away by how great this turned out. Normally I think Banh Mi sandwiches can be a little dry because of all the crusty bread, but with the super fatty pork belly contrasting the crusty bread and pickled veggies it turned out awesome. Would highly recommend giving it a shot. Also this is my first attempt at Pork Belly "burnt ends"

If you enjoy the recipe, I would really appreciate a vote! (no sign-up necessary)
Voting is super simple and can be done here!

RECIPE:

KC Banh Mi - a Kansas City spin on a classic Banh Mi, with slow-smoked pork belly burnt ends.

Makes about 4 sandwiches

Pork Belly Burnt Ends preparation:
Cut half a skinless pork belly into 1” cubes
Coat with Rufus Teague Spicy Meat Rub
Place on cooling rack and transfer to smoker
Smoke with apple wood at 250 for about 2-2.5 hours
Place in aluminum pan and sprinkle with brown sugar, spray with apple juice, and add a stick of butter.
Cover with aluminum foil and put back on the smoker for about another 2 hours until tender.
Drain liquid and add a cup of Rufus Teague Honey Sweet sauce and a quarter cup of honey.
Mix well, put back on smoker and cook for another 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally.

For the slaw, mix the following and let sit for at least 30 minutes
¼ cup rice vinegar
¼ cup sugar
½ cup shredded carrots
½ cup shredded daikon radish
Pinch of salt

Additional sandwich ingredients:
1 thinly sliced medium english cucumber
1 thinly sliced large jalapeño
1 bunch cilantro
2 crusty baguettes

Assembly:
Cut the ends off of 2 medium baguettes and cut in half to create four sandwich buns.
Layer the sliced cucumber on the bottom then top with pork belly burnt ends, and top with pickled slaw, sliced jalapeños, and cilantro. Finalize the sandwich with a good ol’ splurp of Rufus Teague Honey Sweet sauce and enjoy.
A Super Fast Orange Weber-310 UDS Smoking Grill Pen

Last edited by TrustTheDust; 07-14-2017 at 11:47 AM..
TrustTheDust is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->