What should you not smoke?

Whoa there! A standing rib roast is awesome slow cooked. Start out at 220 for a couple hours and boost to 250 until 130 or so. I have never had better. It is rare/med rare all the way through. No dark ring of overdone on the outside.
I agree that standing rib roasts are great slow cooked, but to me there's a difference between slow cooking and smoking. I would never add smoke wood when slow cooking a standing rib roast.

To the OP, experimentation is the key here. I have tried many things both indirect smoke on the Weber, and UDS (no water pan, ever). I have not found anything that was disappointing from some level of added smoke flavor (when I do I will share it).

One KEY is the proper fire (sweet blue!) and some idea of what you are after for smoke flavor.

I recently did a couple eggs and even those were great, IMHO.

Now go experiment!:mrgreen:

I would never smoke a good steak or a standing rib roast.

That is crazy talk!! LOL. It is awesome. I had mesquite smoked Prime Rib in a restaurant just outside of Chicago about 9 years ago that I am still shooting to mimic. THEE BEST I have ever eaten of any style, anywhere.

It was glorious. We went back there several times over the next few month since we were working in the area, living in hotels for that time frame.

If one part of the beef will take on smoke and be nice... pretty much every other part will as well. But if it is just your preference to not want smoke on those parts and taste them soley for what they are... then I will shut up. Two different things all together.

That is crazy talk!! LOL. It is awesome. I had mesquite smoked Prime Rib in a restaurant just outside of Chicago about 9 years ago that I am still shooting to mimic. THEE BEST I have ever eaten of any style, anywhere.

It was glorious. We went back there several times over the next few month since we were working in the area, living in hotels for that time frame.

If one part of the beef will take on smoke and be nice... pretty much every other part will as well. But if it is just your preference to not want smoke on those parts and taste them soley for what they are... then I will shut up. Two different things all together.
Whenever I cook rib roasts, it's for special occasions with guests, and I make it a habit not to experiment with food I'm serving guests. I know they will enjoy my no-smoke-wood roast. Maybe one of these days I'll try "smoking" one just my family. You're never too old to learn.

DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT mention smoking tofu around here. You WILL loose your man card for an undetermined amount of time. Don't ask me how I know.

A note on smoking oily fish, they do take smoke well, think salmon or tuna. However, for some, the fish oil taints the smoker. For me, if I was going to smoke fish, I would have a dedicated smoker.

Back