Ique 110 & UDS Brisket (Pron)

smokeyw

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Got to try out my new Ique 110 last night using the UDS and smoking a brisket. This thing does everything they advertise and does it well. I set it at 9:30 last night and put the brisket on at 10:00. I wrapped at 4:30 AM when the internal temperature hit 165. The Maverick remote beside the bed went off to let me know it was there. By 7:30 AM I had separated the flat from the point. The flat was wrapped and put in a cooler and the burnt ends went back in the UDS for 3 more hours. The ique 110 maintained temps better than I had hoped for. It did not vary over about 5 degrees either way. A great investment for the money.
Brisket2056.jpg

My UDS with the ique in a homemade weatherproof box.
Brisket2055.jpg

The ique 110
Brisket2053.jpg

Temps locked in
Brisket2015.jpg

13.5 Lb. Packer from Sams
Brisket2020.jpg

Brisket2021.jpg

Brisket2024.jpg

A little fat trimmed off
Brisket2052.jpg

The flat
Brisket2051.jpg

Sliced up
Brisket2054.jpg

Candy
An overall success. I would highly reccomend the ique 110 to anyone who has a need to control the temperature of the smoker. There are more sophisticated units on the market but this thing can't be beat for the money. It performed beautifully!!!

Man that's some good looking que. I've been looking at the major players for my SUPER UDS I'm building out of a 100 gallon propane tank and had been leaning toward the Ique, you have convinced me it's the way to go. Are you using the 1" connector? How solid is the connection? Sorry it's a little off topic.

I am using the 1" connector. I used a 3/4" to 1" reducer. The 1" hose barb they send is plastic but it is plenty solid.

Man that's some good looking que. I've been looking at the major players for my SUPER UDS I'm building out of a 100 gallon propane tank and had been leaning toward the Ique, you have convinced me it's the way to go. Are you using the 1" connector? How solid is the connection? Sorry it's a little off topic.

Looking at getting one of those myself. Great to see it working for someone we know.

Nice setup! Do you use anything to keep the remote trasmitter dry?

This was my first time using the blower but I can't tell any difference in fuel consumption. I went for 12 hours on this one and had almost half a basket of charcoal left. It only blows enough to maintain the set temperature. I don't think that is any different from making intake adjustments to maintain the same temperature.

Nice looking brisket, do those blowers use more fuel than natural venting?

I've been waiting for a solid review. Ordering one this week! Thanks for the info smokeyw.

Thanks for the review, I've been eying one of these as well. I see you have the temp probe coming through the top vent. The demo video I've seen wants the sensor right in the middle of the top cooking grate. How do you accomplish this while still having your meat fit in there?

Ahhh, good eye. First of all, I don't like to run the probe through the lid. It is annoying when you take the lid off to do anything. I have a small hole for the Maverick remote probes to go through on the side of the drum but the ique probe with the alligator clip would not go through that hole from either end so I just ran it through the lid. I also was not able to clip the probe in the center due to the large brisket. I had to clip it to the side a little bit. When I cook butts, I usually cook three of them and then the probe will clip directly in the center. I have found that the drum is hotter right in the center than it is off to the sides. In this cook, I started at 225 but later set at 200 to allow for the probe being clipped to one side. It worked fine. I will make changes to the drum so that I don't have to run the probe through the lid.

Thanks for the review, I've been eying one of these as well. I see you have the temp probe coming through the top vent. The demo video I've seen wants the sensor right in the middle of the top cooking grate. How do you accomplish this while still having your meat fit in there?

Ahhh, good eye. First of all, I don't like to run the probe through the lid. It is annoying when you take the lid off to do anything. I have a small hole for the Maverick remote probes to go through on the side of the drum but the ique probe with the alligator clip would not go through that hole from either end so I just ran it through the lid. I also was not able to clip the probe in the center due to the large brisket. I had to clip it to the side a little bit. When I cook butts, I usually cook three of them and then the probe will clip directly in the center. I have found that the drum is hotter right in the center than it is off to the sides. In this cook, I started at 225 but later set at 200 to allow for the probe being clipped to one side. It worked fine. I will make changes to the drum so that I don't have to run the probe through the lid.

Thanks for the quick response :thumb:

One more small question. Do you clip right to the grate? Does clipping to the grate (as opposed to it floating in the air) give you accurate temp readings?

I did clip directly to the grate. It worked just fine. The Maverick remote was right in line with the setting dialed in the iQue (as long sa the two probes were in close proximity). In my experimenting, I have to say that I am a little bit surprised at how much temperature variance there can be within the UDS. However, when I think about it, it makes sense. The drum is about 23" diameter inside and my charcoal basket is 14" diameter and centered. It is also likely at some time during the cooking process that the actual fire in the basket is burning on one side. It doesn't seem to make a differnce in the end product.

Thanks for the quick response :thumb:

One more small question. Do you clip right to the grate? Does clipping to the grate (as opposed to it floating in the air) give you accurate temp readings?

All looks good...
Your UDS looks well designed and built.

I guess my only confusion/question would be... Why? The UDS looks well designed, why would you need a digital air flow control of any sort?

IMHO the UDS are plenty easy to control without any mechanical or electrical assistance. It just seems like over kill.

Not trying to be too critical... but have you used the UDS without the gadjets?

Back