Master Judge?

From what I understand, in order to be a Master CBJ, a person has to have:

1) Taken the KCBS judging class. (Duh.)
2) Judged for at least 30 events.
3) Cooked with a team in competition.
4) Take a test, answering obscure esoteric questions about situations that arise while judging BBQ that only a seasoned veteran would know the answers to.

I think that's about it.

I am also hoping to become a certified Table Captain one day - but I'm going to try to take it one step at a time.

Don't know if they've changed the policy, but when I was working towards my Master judge certification(2008 & before), it had to be 30 KCBS events and the competition you cooked at had to be a KCBS competition, with a KCBS team. And some other master judges had advised I wait until the "new", all-online version of that test came out (it never did, as far as I know). Perhaps things are different a few years down the road?

Lynn H.

1) Taken the KCBS judging class (Duh.)
4) Take a test, answering obscure esoteric questions about situations that arise while judging BBQ that only a seasoned veteran would know the answers to.

That pretty well sums it up, although a couple of the questions on the test are kinda off the wall :rolleyes:.

As stated below. The test has some really tricky questions and some that have nothing to do with judging a contest. BBQ yes but judging a contest no.
I took the test last fall. I passed 1st time, but you can fail. I know a few that have failed. If you fail 3 times you have to take the class again from what I understand.

I think that's about it.

I am also hoping to become a certified Table Captain one day - but I'm going to try to take it one step at a time.

The posts above have stated the requirements to be called a Master judge.

Takes a lot of time, work, travel, expense and dedication to become one.

While judging does not entail the expenses of equipment and entry fees, the other characteristics are similar to cooks.

QansasjayhawQ;1621157 I am also hoping to become a certified Table Captain one day - but I'm going to try to take it one step at a time.[/QUOTE said:
It's actually easier to become a table captain, and you don't need to be a master judge. (which seems odd when I think about it)

Table captain class is kind of like a judges class as I recall. Just more specific to the job at hand. Being a table captain is definitely a lot more work!

I think that's about it.

We're holding a Table Captain class in Sugar Creek April 28 on a Thursday night.

Rich and Bunny Tuttle

I was wondering what makes a certified MASTER judge a certified MASTER judge

Experience, discernment, a sense of what a properly cooked BBQ meat is, and oh yes, lack of bias...Yeah, I know, in a perfect world...but I would hope that by the 30th, the CBJ has had time to get that last point out of their actions and scoring...

There is a 5th. step. Once you have passed the test, the CBJ chair has to submit your name to the BOD for approval.

We're holding a Table Captain class in Sugar Creek April 28 on a Thursday night.

Rich and Bunny Tuttle

Bunny, do you have room for more? If so, does it cost or is it free to current CBJs?

Whatever you do, don't let them cook with you....we did with Dave-Rookie 48 and the team has yet to recover....:confused:

Just Kidding, it was a great time and really good experience, if you get the chance take it.

Well 26 more comps to go before I can consider becoming a Master Judge.
As for table captains at two of the comps regular judges were asked to become table captains. Seems a lot of judges sign up but never show up.

Bunny, do you have room for more? If so, does it cost or is it free to current CBJs?

It is free for CBJ's and a great way to refresh. Just let her know you are will be there. But don't be surprised if we put you to work. More fun in that area anyway. And yes, I hope Sue Mikula would take more if you are not a CBJ. Need to let her know quickly though. The cooker needs to have a final count soon. It's this Wed night.

Bunny
Hope to see you there

It is free for CBJ's and a great way to refresh. Just let her know you are will be there. But don't be surprised if we put you to work. More fun in that area anyway. And yes, I hope Sue Mikula would take more if you are not a CBJ. Need to let her know quickly though. The cooker needs to have a final count soon. It's this Wed night.

Bunny
Hope to see you there

Wow. I can't do it this year, but I'll definitely get in touch about taking that class next year. Did your CBJ class last year and enjoyed the heck out of it. I expect the TC class experience would be even more fun.

Back