if you aint wrapping you aint winning

boogiesnap

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
in regards to ribs, and foiling, is there any merit in this?

i suggest no.

in regards to ribs, and foiling, is there any merit in this?

i suggest no.

If I can find a way to keep the color on my ribs from getting too dark, I will probably never foil again. I just think they taste better without it.

IMHO, it's all in the technique which you smoke/cook the ribs. There are merits for both sides. I've smoked/cooked them both ways with much success. But it took a lot of failures to find what works best.

If you're happy with how your ribs place at contests, why does it matter?

I bet there's as many different ways to cook ribs as there is chicken, pork butt, or brisket. The only way that really matters is the way that works for you.

Although...the fact that you ask the question leads me to think that you feel like your ribs could be better.

another option to consider that is somewhere in the middle is to make an open foil boat...

This allows you to put the meat side down in some pool of sugar/honey/juice/butter concoction that is the new flavor of the month... you get the benefit of a braise with less direct heat exposure for the full duration but also allows you to see/feel the ribs quicker if/when you open the pit to avoid them getting crushed and overcooked. Then at some point when ready to glaze you can flip in the open foil boat or remove foil from bottom altogether...

boog, why did you title this tread that way? Just curious what you know about foil or no foil for winning competitions. Nice question though.

Tis the eternal question you are posting...
It always sparks an arguement amongst the BBQ Brethren

To Foil, or not to Foil, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to Foil
The Ribs and Butts to try and win fortune,
Or to take chance against a grill of troubles,
And by no foil end them? To foil, no foil,
No more; and by the foil to say we end
The heart-ache, and the thousand natural shocks
That pig flesh is heir to: 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wished. To foil, not to foil;
To foil, perchance to win – ay, there's the rub

Thank you...Thank you...
The 7:30 show is completely different than the 9:30 show!

Neil
Too Sauced To Pork BBQ

I agree...it is whatever works for you in the smoker you are using.
Do I like them without foil...Yes.....do I feel I can do that in my BWS without them getting too dark....NO.

Back when I was judging MBN contests I was doing a rib on-site and had a team tell me "Everyone out here foils, if they tell you they aren't they are lying." I think it is very prevelant in comps but I wouldn't go as far as to say "everyone" does it or that you can't win without it.

smokedelic- i'm not sure they could be better, really(at least practicing at home!)but rather different. and i don't foil.

vinnie-i realize the parkay/brown sugar/honey bath is FOTM, but is it now mandatory to
success(similar to cooking the thigh)?

neil-yes, it is the eternal question on here, BUT, it's not as broad and open a question as it usually comes up. i'm asking about foil in a specific situation for a particular result.

meatburner-i know nothing at all about foiling or not and winning competitions. i just wandered across a comp teams website and the statement was made by them.

personally, i don't foil at home or comp. i cook st. louis spares @ 300* for 3.5 hours on a wsm. the results at home are very satisfactory, unfortunately i haven't been able to recreate on-site so i can't truly evaluate my process in competition.

i just don't want to run out another recipe(like the wing)that while done well has little chance of success.

anyway, i'm just trying to compress my learning curve.
thanks for all the help!

i wouldn't even be able to muster middle of the pack if it wasn't for all y'alls help.
d.

I think I remember hearing Mike Wozniak say on Greg Rempe's show that the only thing he cooks in foil anymore is Brisket. And as soon as he figures a way to consistently cook that without it he will stop using it on Brisket.

For competition it helps. If you take the top 25 in ribs last year I'd bet 20+ foil. Now some cook slow and low and some hot and fast s time in foil varies.

I personally prefer no foil, misting with apple juice and no sauce but I know it doesn't win much.

another option to consider that is somewhere in the middle is to make an open foil boat...

This allows you to put the meat side down in some pool of sugar/honey/juice/butter concoction that is the new flavor of the month... you get the benefit of a braise with less direct heat exposure for the full duration but also allows you to see/feel the ribs quicker if/when you open the pit to avoid them getting crushed and overcooked. Then at some point when ready to glaze you can flip in the open foil boat or remove foil from bottom altogether...

Bingo, we have a winner! :eusa_clap

Back