• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Trimming meat prior to Competition

ammoore

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I know that technically you can trim you meat at home before going to the competition but I wondered if anyone actually does it?
If so, what do you use to transport the trimmed (non-seasoned) meat?

You cannot. The meat will not be approved. They should be making sure that the meat is sealed and uncut when the inspect it.

We didn't for a long time. We than did and realized we had more time to drink. We transport in butchers paper or cryovac

I cook FBA and trim most everything at home. Chicken and ribs for sure. Vac seal to transport and bring along the original packaging as proof.

You cannot. The meat will not be approved. They should be making sure that the meat is sealed and uncut when the inspect it.

You are wrong on that...

FWIW I trim all of mine and then I vacuum seal. I only vacuum seal, to keep the juices from making my coolers a mess. I also do not save the labels, as the rules do not require us to do that. Not sure about FBA, as I have heard that those guys save their packaging... Not sure why, as that is a silly rule. I mean, how can you tell you got it from that packaging?

Really? Where?

I cook FBA and trim most everything at home. Chicken and ribs for sure. Vac seal to transport and bring along the original packaging as proof.

Chicken at least, same as above.

LOTS more time to socialize and not be trimming chicken!!! :cool:

I have done it at home and at comps. Trimming at home is easier for us. Gives us more time to play.

I was told that you can trim the meat at home. You can not put on rubs or inject it before inspection

Chicken at home for sure, brisket is also nice to get out of the way if time allows. I find pork is easy to trim at the comp as are the ribs. But nothing wrong with doing them early too if you want or if time allows.

Back to chicken. I want to make sure I get this done at home for a few reasons:
1) I hate it, after setting up the site the last thing I want to do is trim chicken
2) It sure is nice trimming chicken inside an environment of 70 degrees (+/-) ... well, nice comparatively
3) More time to go shiggin and watch other's shave their chicken
4) Did I mention I hate trimming chicken? I've decided that I'd rather build parsley boxes then trim chicken

Anyone know of any local butchers that trim thighs for comps? $10/lb might be worth it

Here is the applicable 2008 KCBS rule:

All competition meats shall be inspected by the Official Meat Inspector during the times established by the contest organizer but not prior to the day before judging. Once the competition meat has been inspected, it shall not leave the contest site. Cooking shall not begin until the competition meat has been inspected by the Official Meat Inspector. All competition meat shall start out raw. No pre-seasoned meat is allowed other than manufacturer enhanced or injected products, as shown on label (EXCLUDING (but not limited to): teriyaki, lemon pepper or butter injected ). When the contest organizer supplies the meat, the contestant is not required to enter only that meat. (Competition meat not meeting these qualifications shall be disqualified; given a one (1) in all criteria by all six judges)

I don't see anything about trimming.​

we sometimes trim ahead... never been a problem...then we double-bag in ziplocs

You are wrong on that...

FWIW I trim all of mine and then I vacuum seal. I only vacuum seal, to keep the juices from making my coolers a mess. I also do not save the labels, as the rules do not require us to do that. Not sure about FBA, as I have heard that those guys save their packaging... Not sure why, as that is a silly rule. I mean, how can you tell you got it from that packaging?

This is what we do also.

KCBS permits pre-trimming. When teams are asked to save labeling, I think it boils down to the local HD wanting to see that the meat was bought somewhere that supposedly adheres to USDA standards.

After we were recently at a KCBS-sanctioned comp where the legality of pretrimming was questioned, I printed out a copy of the KCBS rules pertaining thereto and it now resides in our toolkit.

I can only speak for our kitchen, I suppose, but it's a considerably more controlled and sanitary environment than a table setup out in the field.

From
DivaHerself--
"After we were recently at a KCBS-sanctioned comp where the legality of pretrimming was questioned, I printed out a copy of the KCBS rules pertaining thereto and it now resides in our toolkit."
Good Idea!:-D

Thanks everyone....I was really curious if you had encountered any problems with any of the organizers or KCBS reps. It really boils down to an integrity issue....who's to say the pre-packaged meat that you show for inspection is the meat you are cooking for the contest :)

I have NEVER had a problem with inspectors and pre-trimmed meat. I have had health dept. folks (not contest reps or organizers) ask if I have a receipt or label so I can "prove" the meat was USDA inspected, and not something I processed on my own.

I agree with Scottie... it is somewhat silly to think that a receipt from Sam's that is a day old has anything to do with the meat in my cooler... but they do accept that, or a label as "proof" your meat is USDA meat fit for public consumption.

Outside of that occasional Health inspector (only happened twice in 16 years that I can think of) You shouldnt have any trouble with pre-trimming meat.

I agree Andy. I been harassed more by the fire departments over fire extinguishers, than by the health. Fortunately, because of some idiots at the Royal, all my fire extinguishers are all new...

Heck, here in Iowa we rarely have to take the meat out of the cooler.

Do any of you do your vacuum seal with extra space, so you can cut the end off after inspection and then reuse the bag if you marinade?

Pre-trimming at home is time well spent.
Makes your Friday so much less busy.

Back