Carnitas recipe

S

smokeemifyougotem

Anyone have an excellent recipe for Pork Carnitas? Doesn't need to be for the Bandera. Sorry - a bit off topic here.

Thanks

OB

Sorry - looking for something like Chipotle Mexican Grill serves - their carnitas are very good.

smokeemifyougotem said:
Anyone have an excellent recipe for Pork Carnitas? Doesn't need to be for the Bandera. Sorry - a bit off topic here.

Thanks

OB

Not exactly off topic.... You could smoke the pork for the "Pork Carnitas" :)

I too would love a good recipe for this. I will give it to my wife to make for me.

mmm... pork carnitas!

Yes - The recipe further below (more of the authentic method) I haven't tried. The more authentic method calls for first frying your pork chunks in lard - that's how my great friend Carlos' family does it in the back of his tienda in Harbor City, CA although they use much larger chunks of pork than the recipe below calls for. However, I bet that it wouldn't be wildly different than the simple method I'll explain first.

Carnitas, like pulled pork, and that served at Chipotle ain't rocket science. Carnitas (IMO) is basically baked (bad word for the group) pulled pork. Simple method: Start with a good size pork butt, add some S&P, and bake the living shi$ out if it until it begins baking in its own grease and the outside becomes golden brown. You might need to turn it once in a while. When the internal temp hits 190-200 (magic #), yank it, shred it, and salt to taste, serve how you desire (this post wasn't intended to show how to serve it). You might also want to cover in foil during parts of the cooking process. OTHERWISE, the recipe:

CARNITAS

Serving Size

7 lb Pork Roast, butt or shoulder
2 Oranges -- Sliced
1 cup Cilantro Leaves -- Chopped
1 teaspoon Oregano -- Crumbled
1 teaspoon Cumin -- Ground
1 teaspoon Coriander -- Ground or Crushed
3 Onions -- Chopped
4 lbs Lard

Place lard in a heavy, deep pot, over medium-low heat.

Trim fat from the meat and cut the meat into 3-inch
cubes and lightly salt.

When the lard has melted, place the meat, orange slices,
cilantro, oregano, cumin, coriander and onions in the pot.

(Melted lard should completely cover the meat.)

Cook over medium-low heat 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

The lard will begin to boil after 30 minutes.

The orange slices supply the water which allows
the lard to boil.

Boil gently through the cooking process.

As the water gradually cooks away, the temperature
of the lard will rise, allowing the meat to brown.

Place in baking pan and sprinkle with garlic powder,
bake in a 350 F oven for 45 minutes until meat is
very well browned.

Drain on paper towels.

The carnitas, when done, will have a dry, crisp
exterior with a moist, succulent, tender interior.

Serve as is or shred pork for tacos, tortas,
tostadas, or burrito filling.

Also is used in many other dishes.

WOW! Sounds great - thanks TK. I think I'll cut out the lard - 'brown' it in olive oil and then boil it in beer/water mixture.

You need to finish it off in the oven. Golden crunchy brown outer, fall apart moist inner.

You'd think a pork shoulder would have plenty of fat without the addition of lard.

you think dropping it in a deep fryer at like 425 degrees for a few minutes at the start would work? It would sear it, brown it, and crispy it up. Then drop it in and slow cook it in beer/stock for the remainder.?

david said:
You'd think a pork shoulder would have plenty of fat without the addition of lard.

Yeah - and for that reason I use butts and think frying in lard is unecessary.

Back