Here's what a few phone calls and a little research gets ya!

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

3568122379_9a47123573.jpg

All food grade and at $10 each!!

OMG...I want the one on the bottom...:twisted: Great score bro! :p

Ok..what kind of calls or research did you do to find these. I would love to find a score like that around here

Living in the land of Wal-Mart and JB Hunt has it's advantages. It seems like everywhere you turn there are barrels. I head west and there's a McKee Foods, "Little Debbie" factory. East and they are stacked up in flatbeds on the side of the road for sale. A lot of folks in rural areas use them for burn barrels.

I'm in town, so I will probably have to head to my bro-in-law's to burn it out lest the "neighborhood nazi's" (POA) will be on my tail. :icon_pissed

Thanks to all for the tips and tricks! Will post build pics soon.

Living in the land of Wal-Mart and JB Hunt has it's advantages. It seems like everywhere you turn there are barrels. I head west and there's a McKee Foods, "Little Debbie" factory. East and they are stacked up in flatbeds on the side of the road for sale. A lot of folks in rural areas use them for burn barrels.

I'm in town, so I will probably have to head to my bro-in-law's to burn it out lest the "neighborhood nazi's" (POA) will be on my tail. :icon_pissed

Thanks to all for the tips and tricks! Will post build pics soon.

I can relate...I get all my drums from StockPot (Campbel's Soup)...they look very similar to your stack...only mine are closed lids...and FREE!

IMG_7113.jpg

Help!! I have gone through this thread :eusa_clap and I thought I saw someone using the lid from a Uniflame BBQ grill (it had hinges). I have looked through this thread again :shock: (maybe I missed a page). I have not been able to find it again. Saw a Uniflame BBQ grill on craigslist and not sure if it would work. Have several leads for drums on my first UDS.:-D
Thanks...

Just got one myself, sorry best picture I have right now. It fit after modifying the rim (bent inward with cresent wrench) and adding the second grill on top. I just push it down until it hits the grill support bolts. Covered the extra holes from the hinges with fridge magnets.
IMG_1998.jpg

More build pics can be found here, with some pron for added measure.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62426

Last edited:
Yesterday evening I took the thrash outside and this is what I found,a computer desk that's gonna be modified to be my future TGT (Texas Grill Transporter).:-D
Thanx for giving me "The Addiction"!

Last edited:
looking to build my first UDS.I found a local place to by a brand new unlined drum. Do I need to burn off the paint on the outside of the drum before my first cook?

I am looking to add to my drum collection.... I found a guy selling drums that had insulation in them. I know some people say only food grade, and some say who cares just burn it out....I am somewhere in between, but I have no idea what kinds of chemicals are in insulation.

What do ya'll think?

I am looking to add to my drum collection.... I found a guy selling drums that had insulation in them. I know some people say only food grade, and some say who cares just burn it out....I am somewhere in between, but I have no idea what kinds of chemicals are in insulation.

What do ya'll think?
I Think I'd Shy Away From them....Unless you have the MSDS Sheet of the particular insulation there's no way to know what chemicals made up the Insulation.....Better Safe Than Sorry Down The Road.....

looking to build my first UDS.I found a local place to by a brand new unlined drum. Do I need to burn off the paint on the outside of the drum before my first cook?

Jeep,

I wouldn't bother. It will be fine with the paint that's on it. I would wash the inside with hot water and dish soap before putting the Pam/oil/Crisco on for seasoning.

I Think I'd Shy Away From them....Unless you have the MSDS Sheet of the particular insulation there's no way to know what chemicals made up the Insulation.....Better Safe Than Sorry Down The Road.....

Yeah; what N8man said. It's at least possible that the contents were some form of isocyanurate. The cyan stands for cyanide. At least stay clear of the fumes while you're burning it out. :icon_sick

Need some opinions

I'm new here and trying to build my first UDS. I was given a used drum with no lid. The drum used to have used motor oil in it at one time. The drum has been cleaned out, but I still need to burn it out. Would you be comfortable using this drum if was burned out really well and cleaned?

I'm having a tough time finding some where to find a food grade drum, even though I live in a large metro area.

Thanks for any replies.

Smoke-eater

Back