Competition Tmetables

one2bbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
May 8-9th will be our first comp. in Edwardsville and I have been finding a lot of great info on here that will help us our first time out, but I can't find info on timetables. It would be very helpful if someone would post a basic timetable. What time do you arrive at events? When do you prep you boxes? What times do you start your different meats? A lot of info here, but it would be very helpful in setting up our first scedule and practice runs.
Thanks

Once we have everything loaded and ready to go on Thursday, we start trimming our ribs/chicken that night. Much easier to do in your own kitchen than on a table under an EZ-up. Just remember, no juking it up until after inspection but trimming is allowed. Also remember to take your receipts just in case they ask for them. We haven't had a problem but others on the forum have, better to be safe than sorry.

You want to get to the event as early as you can Friday morning to get setup. Get your meat inspection out of the way as soon as possible. Get your first table setup and do whatever rubbing/injecting/marinading that you need to do. Then finish the rest of your setup. The cooks meeting is going to be somewhere around 4-5P and the key is to be setup and drinking a cold beverage by the time that happens. You'll get your turnin boxes at the cooks meeting and they can be assembled with the garnish later on in the evening. For a couple of hours after the cooks meeting, walk around and socialize. We're in relax mode until about 8P when we fire up a grill for dinner. Don't forget to pack you a good dinner. A couple of flatiron steaks and prebaked potatoes cooked on a WSM work really well. Sometime after dinner is a really good time to start working on getting your boxes garnished too. :wink:

As far as timetables on the meat, you need to time how long it takes to cook each category and then just work back from the turn in time. Take pork for example, typical turn in time is 1P. If it takes you 10 hours to cook, and then you want to cooler it for another hour or so, give yourself 20 minutes to assemble your box, then figure another 20-30 minutes to get your smoker up to speed. That would have you firing up your smoker around midnight. You have to figure this out for your entries though and write it down. That's the key....writing it all down and having a plan. This stuff is not automatic for us either, we have to sit down with a pad of paper and a pen and write our times down too of what we're going to do and when.

The first contest is nerveracking because you're worried stuff is going to go wrong. Don't sweat the small stuff, just stay focused, remember your times and you'll do fine. It needs to be more fun than work. When it turns into more work than fun, I won't do it anymore.

I don't know of any timetables that exist, but here's how I built mine last year when I started competing. This assumes you have cooker space for all of your meat at the same time and don't need any extensive holding as if you were competing with one wsm, for example.

Just take each category and work backwards from the turn in time. If your ribs are due at 12:30, and you are doing them 3-2-1, you should have them on no later than 6 am. This gives you six hours to cook, plus a 30 minute window to prep / finish them for your boxes. Do this for all of your meats....I'm assuming you've practiced them all and have an estimate of timing. Then just roll it all up. I put my briskets and butts on between 6-8 pm, many others put them on later. I do ribs around 7 and chicken later, around 9 or 10.

As for the other questions - I arrive as early as I can. If they let me show up at 8, I try and be there at 8. You can prep boxes whenever - if you get them early, go get them 90% done so you aren't in a rush Saturday morning. Put a damp paper towel over the greens in the box and put in a cooler where it won't get wet.

Ditto

Ditto to the above....just count backwards and leave yourself a cushion in case that brisket stalls and stalls and well....keeps stalling. Somehow it just never goes as smooth as it does at home. :)

Anyway, I agree with rbinms33, you want to have a cold drink and time for socializing.....if you're running around in hurry up mode the whole time it just isn't as much fun.

I'll be in Edwardsville, come find me (BIG O' DANG O' BBQ) look for a big stumps clone on a trailer painted with blue and white flames. We'll share a drink and a laugh over all the stuff you packed for your first contest that you won't even use. I know because I did the same thing...and still refining the packing process.

-Aaron

You need to do a practice cook...get everything you need to your "site" in other words, don't go back in to your house expect for potty breaks and sleep. Run a full comp, turn in boxes and all. This will help you set up a time table of what works for you. Remember to take pics and notes as this will help you later. Each team does things a bit different so hence there is no real time table available... This is the best way to figure out your needs and timing. Good luck and keep asking questions!!:biggrin:

Allow enough time. It's easier to hold meat than it is freaking out about it being done in time.

Try a couple of full blown practice cooks before you go live.

Remember to have fun.

Scottie

I can't really add to what has been said already, just remember to have fun. I attached a spreadsheet I use, some say I have waaayyyy too much time on my hands. I use it to practice, and as a guideline on comp days. Sometimes meat cooks faster, or slower, depending on weather, wind, etc, so consider that when timing things out. And relax, have a good time, when it becomes work, its no longer any fun!!!

Attachments

• Copy of BBQ Schedule 2009.xls
    26 KB · Views: 126
No worries, just tweak it to suit you, and you are on your way. Mine has changed quite a bit, already this year, somethings faster, others slower.

I can't really add to what has been said already, just remember to have fun. I attached a spreadsheet I use, some say I have waaayyyy too much time on my hands. I use it to practice, and as a guideline on comp days. Sometimes meat cooks faster, or slower, depending on weather, wind, etc, so consider that when timing things out. And relax, have a good time, when it becomes work, its no longer any fun!!!

Chris you seem to have left off your brisket recipe! Please fix the file then repost ASAP! :grin::evil::cool:

Thanks for the info everybody Im going to need it. Its still a couple of months away and its what I find myself thinking about everynight when normal people are sleeping.

Once we have everything loaded and ready to go on Thursday, we start trimming our ribs/chicken that night. Much easier to do in your own kitchen than on a table under an EZ-up. Just remember, no juking it up until after inspection but trimming is allowed. Also remember to take your receipts just in case they ask for them. We haven't had a problem but others on the forum have, better to be safe than sorry.

You want to get to the event as early as you can Friday morning to get setup. Get your meat inspection out of the way as soon as possible. Get your first table setup and do whatever rubbing/injecting/marinading that you need to do. Then finish the rest of your setup. The cooks meeting is going to be somewhere around 4-5P and the key is to be setup and drinking a cold beverage by the time that happens. You'll get your turnin boxes at the cooks meeting and they can be assembled with the garnish later on in the evening. For a couple of hours after the cooks meeting, walk around and socialize. We're in relax mode until about 8P when we fire up a grill for dinner. Don't forget to pack you a good dinner. A couple of flatiron steaks and prebaked potatoes cooked on a WSM work really well. Sometime after dinner is a really good time to start working on getting your boxes garnished too. :wink:

As far as timetables on the meat, you need to time how long it takes to cook each category and then just work back from the turn in time. Take pork for example, typical turn in time is 1P. If it takes you 10 hours to cook, and then you want to cooler it for another hour or so, give yourself 20 minutes to assemble your box, then figure another 20-30 minutes to get your smoker up to speed. That would have you firing up your smoker around midnight. You have to figure this out for your entries though and write it down. That's the key....writing it all down and having a plan. This stuff is not automatic for us either, we have to sit down with a pad of paper and a pen and write our times down too of what we're going to do and when.

The first contest is nerveracking because you're worried stuff is going to go wrong. Don't sweat the small stuff, just stay focused, remember your times and you'll do fine. It needs to be more fun than work. When it turns into more work than fun, I won't do it anymore.

Well said:-D

Its still a couple of months away and its what I find myself thinking about everynight when normal people are sleeping.

Welcome to our world!

:biggrin:

yeppers.... welcome to the real world.

Sleep, what is that?

You will find that all of the time tables are great. But, you will adjust them for you. Find one that is close to what you do. Post it on a clip board where it is easy to get at while you are cooking. We hang ours on the ez-up leg right next to the cooker. Then when you finish one task, we take a highlighter and mark through it. If we adjust something, we right it on the sheet with a pen. Then make up a new sheet for the next comp.

The main thing, don't stress yourself out.... it is not much different that being at home and cooking. The main difference is, if you did forget something.... ask a neighbor. Most likely, you will get it. Make a note on the schedule of what you forgot.....

Have fun, enjoy yourself, and do what you do best....

And don't forget the coffee, coffee maker, filters, sugar, creamer, a couple of spoons, etc....

Chris you seem to have left off your brisket recipe! Please fix the file then repost ASAP! :grin::evil::cool:

Just 'bout fell outta the chair, laughing!!!

Tell ya what, coming from you, Dan, that is quite a compliment, thanks, my ego needed that!!!!!!! Jus' don't tell the wife...........

Where's the first Baseball Tournament?? We start end of March Ripken Qualifier, Forest Hill.

These work well. One suggestion I might add is to combine them all into ONE timeline. We used to have the four different ones like this and would miss things because we were tracking 4 timelines. Put it all in one and use a different color/font for each meat or just comment which meat it is.

At comps, I have one spreadsheet, on a clipboard, hanging over the table, next to the clock. Each of those pages are linked to the that page, so when I make changes, its automatically filled on the single page.

Thanks for this thread and the spreadsheet. I too, am jumping in this year. Looks like Smoke in the Vally in Green Lane PA will be our first one.

Back