• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Lookin for thoughts

rugbyguytx

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Ok so being somewhat new to the scene, I have been trying so many different rubs and mops that I think the girlfriend is actually getting tired of beef (watch it!) and the neighbors have given up hope of opening the windows at all during the weekends thanks to the smoke :)
I have been working on a rub and love the taste (i can eat it by the spoonful) but you can't taste it after the brisket is done. I really love it added to the brisket after the cooking is done... but that seems a bit like cheating so here is my question.. how the heck can I get all that flavor IN the beef?
The rub uses brown sugar, chili powder, paprika, salt, some coffee and some black pepper.

How about taking your rub and infusing a beef broth with it and injecting. Or put more rub on the outside.

How about taking your rub and infusing a beef broth with it and injecting. Or put more rub on the outside.

Make sure you disolve as much as possible and grind the pepper fine and use a large bore needle.

Have you tried the beef without any rub? You may be tasting it, but when mixed with the flavor of the beef it has taken on a new flavor profile. Next time do a comparison. Two briskets one rubed and one not. Go for a third and do the injection. Then invite all of your neighbors over for dinner:lol:

Make sure you disolve as much as possible and grind the pepper fine and use a large bore needle.

Have you tried the beef without any rub? You may be tasting it, but when mixed with the flavor of the beef it has taken on a new flavor profile. Next time do a comparison. Two briskets one rubed and one not. Go for a third and do the injection. Then invite all of your neighbors over for dinner:lol:
I agree... Are you foiling the brisket? If so, add some of the rub to apple juice and put about 3/4 cup in the foil with the meat... This might kick it over the edge for ya...

got me thinking

Well I have never injected brisket but I will have to try....

I do slather with mustard before I add the rub and pat it down on the brisket. As for foiling.. I did foil this last time... and that is a good point.. I didn't like how the crust got moist.. I am a big fan of a nice crisp crust so I may add the rub into the foil next time and see what happens.

How long do you all usually leave the brisket in the foil?

Also for the injection what kind of consistency should I be looking for? Think or real thin?

KS

Ok so being somewhat new to the scene, I have been trying so many different rubs and mops that I think the girlfriend is actually getting tired of beef (watch it!) and the neighbors have given up hope of opening the windows at all during the weekends thanks to the smoke :)

Put it on Pork! Problem solved :mrgreen:.

I also think injection is the way to go. I like the Fab products (search for Fab B you will get more info than you want). I think Dr BBQ also has a pretty good Brisket injection. I also agree to work on a mop (with rub) when you wrap in foil.

Back