Help with my brick smoker

J

jbraveman

I just bought a new house and it has a brick smoker out back. It looks like it hasn't been used in quite a few years. I can't figure out how to control the airflow inside. There seems to be a rusted metal wire crossing the ground running vent. The top vent doesn't seem to have any air control mechanisms. I'm a smoking novice and have only been using the egg for a few months. Any help would be appreciated. I'm also not very handy. Here are some pictures.

Inside view of the top

I'm not even sure if this is a part for the smoker.

interesting....that's unique !!!!

maybe to control airflow, just slide that metal plate part of the way until you have the desired air you need ?

Can't really help you but that looks like it will be awesome once cleaned up!

Jeff

Buy looking at the background it looks like it can cold smoke fish by using the off set and hot smoke by using the pit. Fire that baby up and see what it can do.

I would clean it out and fire it up, low temp (<250*) to start then see if you can get it up to 300*-350* with a hotter fire. Might need to replace those wooden doors with some steel but if you can get 225*-325* in the cook chamber you are home free, get to cookin?

Looks like a nice little project. Get it lit and get smoking!

Wash it up and light a fire to see how she runs. Lots of posibilities there.
Love the old school stuff!

Like others have already said, I think you should fire it up. That way you can see how well it works without any adjusting.

Looks like a brick offset smoker. I bet you could do a cold smoke with that if you lit the fire at the end of the tunnel. That is probably why a wooden door never burned down. Noob here so take it for what its worth.

I wonder.....was there a post and a swing arm near that door. That may be the reason for the round grate with the eyelet at the end of the rod?

You have a very nice piece there.... please clean it out, light a small fire to heat it up slowly (don't want to crack anything) and please make some pics with description of positions and I'm sure we can help you out... oh and btw that round piece looks like a suspension grate.... with more info I'm sure we can help. How old is the property you purchased and when was the unit built?

Looks like a great little cold/hot smoker. The fire box is far enough away from the chamber to cool the smoke before it reaches your food/fish/bacon/whatever for cold and warm smoking.
Bet you could hot smoke inside the main area with no problem too.

Nice find!! :thumb:

That looks really cool. I'd clean it up, lite a small fire and see what happens. Sounds like a good way to kill a Saturday afternoon and a six pack. Heck, throw a fatty in there and see how it cooks!

I agree with all that's been said about it being a cold smoker or low temp smoker.
Looking forward to seeing how you get along with it

Thanks for all your suggestions. The house was built in 1985. There have been a couple owners before us. I don't know when the smoker was built.

So If I'm understanding things correctly the fire should go at the end of the long channel to smoke the meat inside the large box? I was thinking it worked like my egg with the fire and the meat in the same place.

Is there something missing that would contain the fire on the outside like a drum? I did see something rusting in woods near by.

Back