Reasons for lowball score - pork entry

Ford

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
There's been a lot of talk about lowball scores by a judge since the new score sheets. There is some justification for a judge just scoring everything low. But there's lots of reasons for a judge to get a different experience. I'll post this for each of the 4 meats.

Just post 1 reason for taste and/or tenderness.

Fat chunk in pulled. Happens all the time. Impacts both T & T.

Taste: 8 "sweeter than I like"

based on 10 point PNWBA scoring

So, clarification...
sweeter than YOU like, or sweeter than the rules say it should be?

IE the sweetness imbalances the other flavors...

Pieces of the "white meat" from the center of a butt will not have the flavor/moisture of the "red meat" on the ends.
If pulled/chunked samples include both, some judge may get the white and not be impressed. 8)

My scores went way up when I learned that! :oops:

TIM

So, clarification...
sweeter than YOU like, or sweeter than the rules say it should be?

IE the sweetness imbalances the other flavors...

There are no rules on taste. If I'm wrong please tell me where it is in the rules. And rules do not mean anything discussed or mentioned in a CBJ class.

There are no rules on taste. If I'm wrong please tell me where it is in the rules. And rules do not mean anything discussed or mentioned in a CBJ class.

and therein lies the rub. pardon the term.

i don't think too sweet is a valid significant score down from one of six judges.

if 5 give 9's on taste and 1 a six and the comment card says too sweet, do you change a thing? um, no.

now a peice of pork fat unrendered on a comment card and you damn well sure will be more careful next time.

and therein lies the rub. pardon the term.

i don't think too sweet is a valid significant score down from one of six judges.

if 5 give 9's on taste and 1 a six and the comment card says too sweet, do you change a thing? um, no.

now a peice of pork fat unrendered on a comment card and you damn well sure will be more careful next time.
I agree but you can't teach taste. It's subjective and you try to please as many as you can. Judges Dan say whatever they want but there preferences will influence scores. As cooks there are things we can address to get the best scores we can. People judge not robots.

I was taught the flavors have to blend...if it is a sweet sauce and it blends well...then you judge it on its own merits as a sweet sauce.

you bring personal preferences in and you compromise your integrity as a judge.

I was taught the flavors have to blend...if it is a sweet sauce and it blends well...then you judge it on its own merits as a sweet sauce.

you bring personal preferences in and you compromise your integrity as a judge.

So does the CBJ class teach what a well blended sauce? I know of one class where the team cooking the meat mixed all their old bottles they weren't using to sauce the entries. It's all personal preference. For sweet some prefer honey, others molasses and some even prefer brown sugar.

Do you have anything a cook can do that explains one bad score.

So does the CBJ class teach what a well blended sauce?

No, but at mine we were told to judge each entry on its merits. The example used in the class was that if you don't like sweet ribs, but you get one and it's the best sweet rib you've ever tasted before, then score it as such.

Rules don't matter. I got scored low on pork once because it was cold, and I got 2 comment cards from the same table that said that. The rules say you are not to judge on the temperature of the meat, but there it is in black and white from 2 judges.

Of course our pork did suck back then :becky: but the lesson is that you are going to be judged on temp, smoke ring, burnt ends (for brisket), etc. no matter what the instructions are for the judges.

Back