• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Couple of UDS Chickens

rdstoll

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Did three whole chickens on the UDS
Brined one of the chickens overnight using a brine of:
1 gallon water
1 cup salt
1 cup sugar
1 tsp garlic powder

Heated the brine up to dissolve the ingredients, let it cool then refrigerated the bird in the brine overnight.

For the cook:
1 - whole chicken (brined) with Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction on the skin
1 - whole chicken (not brined) with Simply Marvelous Spicy Cherry Rub on the skin
1 - spatchcocked chicken with Simply Marvelous Sweet & Spicy Rub, rubbing as much rub as I could UNDER the skin then on top

Decided to run this cook hot so got the UDS to over 300 degrees and put all three birds on the top rack. I used a foil pan on the bottom rack to catch dripping and this seemed to also cut down on the temp that was reaching the top rack as a thermometer was closer to 275 degrees, but this may be due to a faulty thermometer. With the birds around 150 degrees I squeezed some butter on top of all three chickens as the skin was starting to look crisp. I think this helped keep the skin crisp but not overdone.

Overall consensus was:
Whole chicken (brined): nice and juicy. Was the second-most favorite of the group. I thought it could have used a bit more flavor - I didn't notice much of the brine so some rub under the skin probably would have been good.

Whole chicken (not brined): I thought the rub was great but was dryer than the brined chicken and flavor didn't seem to penetrate the meat as much. Was #3 out of 3.

Spatchcocked Chicken: Was voted the best and I thought it was the best as well. Very good flavor and good moisture as well. I was surprised it was able to hold moisture so well, frankly. Rub was great as well.

This was a total experiment - in the future will definitely make sure to rub the birds down underneath the skin. Will probably look into basting/spritzing as well but I'm not at that level yet.

Attachments

• Two birds.jpg
    Two birds.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 157
  • Spatched Done.jpg
    Spatched Done.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 158
  • Not brined Cherry Rub.jpg
    Not brined Cherry Rub.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 157
  • Spatched Inside.jpg
    Spatched Inside.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 157
Cool experiment that makes me feel good about what I do with birds... spatchcock and brine. They look great!

Looks good and tasty...just think that if you would have went hotter it would have even been juicer. Doesn't makes sense does it...But it's true. I'll forever spatch and no brine...can't imagine these birds holding any more moisture.

The only bird i do that see's a brine is a turkey and that's only because i want the flavor profiles.

Looks good and tasty...just think that if you would have went hotter it would have even been juicer. Doesn't makes sense does it...But it's true. I'll forever spatch and no brine...can't imagine these birds holding any more moisture.

The only bird i do that see's a brine is a turkey and that's only because i want the flavor profiles.

Thanks - yeah I've never put any sort of pan or diffuser in my UDS so wasn't sure what to expect as far as its effect on the temperature but now I know!

Those all look great! Spatchcocked is the way to go dont think ill ever do a whole bird any other way.

Back