• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Orange Wood

S

stumpknocker21

Does anyone have any experience smoking with orange wood. Just curious what it may be similar to.

Hi there!

Do you mean the wood from an orange fruit tree?

Or do you mean wood that is colored orange, like an Osage Orange?

I've never had any wood from an orange tree to cook with - but I've cooked quite a bit with Osage Orange. Osage Orange is really hot and does not flavor your food too heavily with smoke.

Like other citrus woods, orange wood produces a tangy, citrus smoke. Like any other good wood, too much will over-power the flavor of the meat.

Orange gives food a golden color and produces a nice mild smoky flavor with a slight hint of fruitiness.

great with Poultry, Fish, Game, and yes.... Pork..

I appreciate the input, yes i was referring to the wood from an orange tree, however ive cooked with apple, peach, and cherry but never got any "hint" of fruitiness, usually i find that the fruit trees produce a really mild smoke flavor which you are describing, but i think i will give it a try and give the good ol pecan a rest for a cook just to see what this is all about.

I bought some a few weeks ago, but haven't tried it, yet. Maybe this weekend. Thanks for the reminder.

CD

Like other citrus woods, orange wood produces a tangy, citrus smoke. Like any other good wood, too much will over-power the flavor of the meat.

Orange gives food a golden color and produces a nice mild smoky flavor with a slight hint of fruitiness.

great with Poultry, Fish, Game, and yes.... Pork..

I appreciate the input, yes i was referring to the wood from an orange tree, however ive cooked with apple, peach, and cherry but never got any "hint" of fruitiness, usually i find that the fruit trees produce a really mild smoke flavor which you are describing, but i think i will give it a try and give the good ol pecan a rest for a cook just to see what this is all about.

Smoke from wood is like wine, Merlot is made from grapes but gives a hint of plums, blackberries, and cocoa which none are present in the wine.

... RocketmanRay from Florida near Kennedy Space Center..... where we have lots and lots of oranges, orange trees, citrus trees of all kinds....

Yep, use it - it's awesome. I especially like it when I hot smoke fish. And have used it in combination with hickory. Burns well in a fireplace too.

Will trade USPS flat rate box, whatca got? PM me.

RMR

.... And, interestingly, not in the pine family, but an oak unfortunately commonly named Australian Pine (Casuarina native to Australasia, the Indian Subcontinent, southeast Asia, and islands of the western Pacific Ocean).

Yep, use it too to cook steaks and they are the BOMB!!!

RMR

I used orange a couple weekends back on some chicken wings and thighs. I was a little heavy on the smoke but it did give the meat a different almost tangy bite. I would use again for sure. I also got some peach the other day that I used on Ribs and that turned out awesome.

I have used it a few times...
Very light smoke flavor. Used it for pork and chicken I would recommend it.

It's not bad. For me though, if I was going to spend money on fruit wood, I would get Peach, Apple or Cherry personally. But I know a lot of people like it..

If you want a really unique smoke flavor and aroma, try Persimmon wood. I'm not a fan of it, but it is unlike anything else I have used.

Back