• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

A MN Delicacy: Juicy Lucy!

GC8

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
There's been an age old battle between two popular bars in Minneapolis as to who created the Juicy Lucy...this battle has sprung many other delicious variations across the state. Here is mine:

The building blocks:
ry%3D480

Insert cheese here:
ry%3D480

Delicious little meat wrapped goodness:
ry%3D480

Grilled indirectly to melt the cheese and then threw over the coals:
ry%3D480

Finished product with some homemade baked fries:
ry%3D480

Eh, it's a little big...oh well:
ry%3D480

Money shot:
ry%3D480

As per usual, thanks for looking!

That looks good!! My favorite is grinding up a half pound of bacon into the pound of burger and adding onions and mushrooms to the middle. I've had the pleasure of eating at the 5-8 but never at Matt's so I couldn't tell you who's is better, but I'd put mine up against theirs any day

That looks good!! My favorite is grinding up a half pound of bacon into the pound of burger and adding onions and mushrooms to the middle. I've had the pleasure of eating at the 5-8 but never at Matt's so I couldn't tell you who's is better, but I'd put mine up against theirs any day

To be honest, I prefer Shamrocks or The Nook (same owners) over both Matt's and 5-8. The Blue Door is damn good too.

I totally agree with the onions in the middle, but just used what I had on hand. The bacon sounds good though...but then again, when doesn't it?

Wow, it amazes me that someone thinks they invented those. My dad used to make those when I was a kid and I'm an old fart. I guess naming them was the deal.
They look great! I loved them as a kid and still do.

I could devour one or two of those. Of course with choice I'd add bacon and an egg.

The peanut butter and jelly Lucy with bacon at 5-8 is the bomb. The Nook is also killer, but a little trendy.

I think they are a little overrated. They don't have the same mouthfeel as a regular cheeseburger. Seem to impart a dry feel even though the burger may be juicy as hell inside

Are you the ghost of GMAG?

Heard alot about em when I was visiting Minneapolis. Just too much running around to do and never got a chance to try one. Those look fantastic!

I think they are a little overrated. They don't have the same mouthfeel as a regular cheeseburger. Seem to impart a dry feel even though the burger may be juicy as hell inside

Are you the ghost of GMAG?

Ha!

I always screw up Juicy Lucys. They look pretty tasty!

In 1964 I was five years old. Every Saturday night Dad would grill burgers and we all watched the Jackie Gleason show with stuffed burgers and home made fries made on a vegomatic. He often used American Gouda and Swiss cheese. My favorite was Mom would pan fry fresh breaded okra to a crispy flat goodness. Dad would layer the fried Okra between patties and add blue cheese and Gouda then cook on the grill. That burger with a home made chocolate malt brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.

Dad would layer the fried Okra between patties and add blue cheese and Gouda then cook on the grill. That burger with a home made chocolate malt brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.
That brings a tear to my eye, and I wasn't even there.
You Dad was an original Pitmaster.
Way back then, there wasn't internet forums and TV shows with all these great ideas to get knowledge from.

Back