• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Why not just use an oven

A

aevanlloyd

I cook at home for friends and family. I'm not a competition cook and have no desire to be one. My question is, after I wrap my meat, why shouldn't I just throw it in the oven where the temp is steady? Will using an oven negatively affect the meat?

Thanks

If its a cold night or if it starts to rain I'll wrap to get over the stall and put it in the oven. I've only done this with pork butts and both were over 150*. I've done 10 so far and only had to do this with 2 of them. I live in an apartment and I have no car port so I smoke next to my parking spot. Both times I knew the meat wouldn't take any more smoke, so to avoid getting drenched I just finished them inside.

I am actually please at the progression of our forum members.... back when we had 300 members with 30 strong ones...those that were here all the time... of someone came in and asked this they would sort of get flogged.

I am glad we have gotten to the point where reality is stronger than ego. The poster above that says, after they are wrapped (assuming you have gotten enough smoke and color) heat is heat.. well that is right on!!

For competitors this is of course not the way to go because the competition rules says so... and frankly they always should because that is what the competition is done to find out...who can run their pits the best. Plus there are still 26 things that can go wrong to the meat after it got its ring on...

I had some guy visit me and watch me smoke for my church... we did butts and it rained. After 8 hours smoking 67 butts at a temp of 180---200... well it was dark.... I looked at him and said this. "Buddy the end product and its screw up free presentation is all that matters and we are not competing... so... into the warmer they go with parts going in our church ovens for 3 hours to get tender in shifts.... I ain't running this pit all night.

The next morning we were all set and rested. No one knew we did the last part in the ovens.

A lot of us have and still do so from time to time as indicted in the above posts.

The main reason not to is:
The cooker is already up to a controlled temperature with many hours of fuel to burn off. It's just as easy to wrap and return to let it finish.

Used to do it with my offset all the time after I got wise. You get really sick of sleeping on the picnic bench. I haven't yet with the WSM but time will tell

I've done it more than once over the winter when chit was freezing cold and windy. No shame in my game. Although I did setup the maverick on one of the cooks just to see how close the oven's digital readout was. Come to find out I was getting bigger temp swings in the oven than the wsm. Go figure...

The UDS with my Pitmasteriq is pretty much steady as an oven and I try to cook outside in warmer months to keep the house cool but if it's below 50* on a long cook after I feel the meats taken all the smoke it can sure I'll put it in the oven to finish.

I'm one of them that's gotta uds and IQ110, so I generally don't need to use the oven. But on a couple occasions i have had to finish in the oven due to fuel running out due to using more fuel because of the outside temps and wind.

Go for it.

Nothing wrong with it at ALL.The end result will be the same,IF you are a foiler.Some want the whole cook,uncrutcherized,to be done on cooker of choice.:cool:Separates the...........

Oh boy here we go:razz:
Well, OK, I'll admit if you're one of those crazy "Hot and Fast" weirdo's, then the oven is pretty good. But for good old fashioned low and slow, nothing, and I mean NOTHING can beat the crock pot.:thumb:

BUT...

The SMART Hot and Fast folks use a Pressure Cooker instead of an amateurish (at best) oven...and let's face it...a Pressure Cooker is really just a Hot & Fast Crock Pot if you think about it.:nod:

So...Crock Pot wins every time when you boil it all down, really. The oven is best suited for cookies, boxes of cake mix and frozen pizza.:rolleyes:

Back