Votes: 35 63.6%
  • Kingsford Competition

Votes: 20 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trumpstylz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I was reading on Pattiodaddios previous post about a comparison. Both look good, but I would probably end up going with whichever is cheaper (I'm pretty sure the 2X20lb bags of comp are around 20$ at costco, not sure on stubbs).

Which do you prefer?

Just to clarify, Kingsford Competition is different than the standard blue bag stuff, and more expensive. With that said, I much prefer the Kingsford Competition over Stubb's.

Just to clarify, Kingsford Competition is different than the standard blue bag stuff, and more expensive. With that said, I much prefer the Kingsford Competition over Stubb's.

Huh. I was expecting people to say the opposite.

Never used Stubbs, but am interested to try. I like Kingsford Comp a lot but I find it pricey for day to day use. That said, I just saw K. Comp. at Walmart today for the first time I recall. Think it was about $9 for the 11+ lb. bag.

I prefer Stumps - but mostly because I can get it at Lowes or Tom Thumb grocery store.
Have only seen K-competition at Costco once.

I was reading on Pattiodaddios previous post about a comparison. Both look good, but I would probably end up going with whichever is cheaper (I'm pretty sure the 2X20lb bags of comp are around 20$ at costco, not sure on stubbs).

Which do you prefer?

If you can get k comp at that price let me know, it's usually closer to $1/lb.

I prefer K comp.

Stubbs briquettes are heavier. You don't get a lot, one bag of Stubbs will only fill up one chimney. It's one of the hottest burning charcoals I've used. But I haven't experienced a taste difference between Stubbs and K comp, so K comp wins since it's easier to work with.

I use Stubbs for competition cooking. I have never used Kingsford Competition because its darn expensive and hard to find around here. I find blue bag is fine for the backyard and Stubbs is my charcoal of choice for competition. Though, I honestly don't think I can taste the difference.

one bag of Stubbs will only fill up one chimney.

I think you may be buying the smaller bags :twitch:. I have a weber chimney (large not the mini) and I used Stubbs this weekend. I filled it all the way up twice and 3/4 of the way up once and still have 1/3 of the bag left.

You can buy a 16 pounds bag of Stubbs at Lowes for $8.99 regular price, thats pretty strong.

Stubbs here as well mainly because it is easy to get and the price isn't too bad. I run it almost exclusively in my WSM and love the stuff.

I have used both. I find Kingsford Comp has more ash compared to Stubbs. I can't get Kingsford Comp any longer so I use Stubbs or RO lump. that's what is readily avail in my area.

If you can get k comp at that price let me know, it's usually closer to $1/lb.

They come out to about the same price. I looked it up- the KC is around 20 dollars for 2x18lb bags at costco and often have a 4$ off rebate. Stubb's is always about 9 dollars for 16lb.

Stubbs-it's about the only briquettes I'll use. It doesn't have nearly as much of that nasty, acrid, chemical smoke when you light it as Kingsford does. Fresh-lit Kingsford smells like burning plastic to me. I've never figured out why people worry about having white smoke from wood, but are fine with using the Minion method with briquettes with all the nasty stuff in them and that black, acrid smoke rolling off them until they ash over.

If those 2 are my only choice, then I would pick K-Blue.

My first choice, Royal Oak - Chefs Blend.

wallace

I love Stubbs but I'm too cheap to buy it. It's never on sale around here and it's almost $.50/lb compared to $.19/lb for K blue at the sales. If Lowe's ever has another 2/1 sale, I'm there with the minivan.

Back