Pork butt question

jsperk

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I have two 8 pound butts I'm cooking for tomorrow for 4 p.m. I was going to have one as pulled and one as sliced. My question how long should I wait to throw the sliced one on after starting the pulled one. Would you let a sliced one rest a couple hours like the pulled one?

Thanks all and have a Merry Christmas.

What is your target pit temperature? The hotter you cook, the shorter the time needed. Rest both butts.

I would put the one on at the same time and just pull the one you are going to slice earlier so it can rest longer.

Considering the duration of the stall and your cooker temp; hypothetically - 3 hours difference should be decent.

If you are goiing to cook sliced pork, I'd suggest you cook around 275 to 290 degrees for the entire cook and follow the three hour rule above.

+1 for starting both butts at the same time and taking off the slicer first.

For sliced pork I would pull at 165 to 170 Internal temp and let rest until the second one is ready.

For the pulled pork, take the butt to 195 internal and let rest for an hour. If you cook at the 275 to 300 range and foil it at an internal of 160, you should be looking at about 5 hours (ish) of cook time. Using that method with a 9.5lber took me about 5hrs and 45mins so an 8lber should be around the 5 hour mark.

Also, don't foil the slicer. Just let it ride on its own until it hits the 165-170 mark.

+2 on starting both and removing one early. That way you know the timing will work, instead of just guessing and crossing fingers.

Back