Hats off to PattioDaddio with pron

Willie G

Reaction score
OK, I was asked to smoke four turkeys last week, I have about nine years of expierance with smoking pork, and some chicken. I have never smoked a turkey before. So, what to do?:shock: I turned to the BBQ Brethern for the answer and boy did I get the answer.

I followed PatioDaddio's instructions for a Turkey Brine, understand, with chickens I always inject, had every intention of injecting these turkeys with a creole butter injection. However, I saw how many people were talking about this brine that I decided to go for it. I do not know PatioDaddio, we have never met, but if we ever do, I owe him a cold one.:grin:

The people that I smoked them for think that these things were made by a pro! The only thing I had to do differant was use Allspice instead of the Chinese 5 spice. I might add this was not my idea, PatioDaddio suggested it in a post I read somewhere. I put celery, onion, and orange in the cavity. Smoked at 175, used a cheesecloth soaked in butter, and continued to bast with butter. The end result was nothing short of pure awesome, and I was told that the meat melted in their mouths.......I didnt get any!:mmph: Thanks PatioDaddio.
turkey4.jpg

Turkey Brined for about 24 hours

End results follow
turkey2.jpg

turkey.jpg

turkey3.jpg

Can you post links to where you found the info? Would love to check out that brine and cheesecloth trick

Can you post links to where you found the info? Would love to check out that brine and cheesecloth trick

Not sure of the link, but here is what I did. About an hour half into the smoke, I checked the turkey, liked the color, and layed a cheese cloth over the entire turkey. The cheesecloth was soaked in melted unslated butter. About every 45 minutes after that I applied more butter to keep the cloth from drying out and sticking to the skin.

Also, I just read my post, I did not smoke it at 175, it was at 275! 175 would be bad:doh:

IN-FARKING-CREDIBLE lookin turkey brotha!
Farkin BEAUTIFUL!

Nice work!

Willie - That is what we food bloggers (I call us floggers) live for. I am so very glad
that you and your guests enjoyed the brine. I salute you, because it's not about
the beast, the brine, or the cooker -- it's about the cook.

I love the buttered cheescloth idea. I'll have to try that. The color of your birds is
indeed incredible.

Thanks again!

John

I try to stress to everyone if you haven't checked out Johns blog ....do it! There are many more fantastic recipes on it. Two that come to mind are the cranberry/orange bbq sauce for turkey (I also use it on pork) and his New Years soup. And no I don't personally know John. Only from here and visiting his blog.Here's one of the cheese cloth threads not sure if it's the correct one though.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72929&highlight=BUTTERED+CHEESECLOTH

Now that is one beautiful turkey right there! :clap2:

And you're right - PD is da man! :thumb:

The turkey looks very impressive. I am sure it tasted as good as it looks. But, I can't believe you did not get to taste any. There has never been a turkey cooked in my mom's house that had both it's wings when it hit the table. Her story is still the same to this day, "it only had one wing from the get go". Thanks for sharing your success.

Back