I was nominated to run for KCBS BOD this morning

I admire anyone with the courage to willingly step into the splatter zone right in front of the fan.

Hopefully, I will get to meet you at the Royal.
Looking forward to reading about your plans and ideas.

Bless you.

Good luck, Diva.

Any ideas on the things you'd like to see different from the BOD?

I don't know how I made two posts....sorry. If elected, I guess I should stay away from the "technology" committee! Lmao!

Last edited:
Good luck, Diva.

Any ideas on the things you'd like to see different from the BOD?

I said I'd express some things after the Royal, so.....here it goes

To be totally honest, I don't know what the Board can/can't do according to the rules, however, I'm down with having a set of guidelines that are known to everyone IN PRINT on how to handle disciplinary situations. That whole penis apron thing seemed like a not very well thought out cluster.

In listening to the mp3's, it seems like the Board does a LOT of micro-managing. Seems that if there are committees, they should do some legwork/research on the task at hand and make a recommendation that the Board should vote on. Theres a Board Member or two that are on each committee and the President and Executive Director is on each committee (at least they are on the Membership Committee), utilize them.

That's about all I've got, right now. I'm not going to promise anything, other than to do the best I can, if elected. There are 11 other people on the Board, so, promising some big change would be crap. I'm not going to have a Facebook page or any of that stuff. If elected, I'm sure I'll be assigned a committee, letting you know now, if elected, I'll ask to be a co-chair with someone that's been on the Board for more than two seconds. I can't see doing a good job when I don't know what the hell I'm supposed to do. Cheryl Hill (The Smoking Hills) and I, are running together, she's a great gal, cooks every weekend. We also agree to disagree.

Cheryl Hill and Stephanie Wilson, we're more than potlucks and parsley.....

Nice with Cheryl.

Once me and Todd get done with Rob, we will start the new Val campaign...

I said I'd express some things after the Royal, so.....here it goes

To be totally honest, I don't know what the Board can/can't do according to the rules, however, I'm down with having a set of guidelines that are known to everyone IN PRINT on how to handle disciplinary situations. That whole penis apron thing seemed like a not very well thought out cluster.

In listening to the mp3's, it seems like the Board does a LOT of micro-managing. Seems that if there are committees, they should do some legwork/research on the task at hand and make a recommendation that the Board should vote on. Theres a Board Member or two that are on each committee and the President and Executive Director is on each committee (at least they are on the Membership Committee), utilize them.

That's about all I've got, right now. I'm not going to promise anything, other than to do the best I can, if elected. There are 11 other people on the Board, so, promising some big change would be crap. I'm not going to have a Facebook page or any of that stuff. If elected, I'm sure I'll be assigned a committee, letting you know now, if elected, I'll ask to be a co-chair with someone that's been on the Board for more than two seconds. I can't see doing a good job when I don't know what the hell I'm supposed to do. Cheryl Hill (The Smoking Hills) and I, are running together, she's a great gal, cooks every weekend. We also agree to disagree.

Cheryl Hill and Stephanie Wilson, we're more than potlucks and parsley.....

Sounds to me like you have the right idea of how a board should operate. I'd like to see more obvious guidelines for judges be part of the guidelines, as well. For a guy who is just in his first year of competition, but plans to get better and compete for many years, I'd like to know if that 6 I occaisionaly get is because it's a horrible experience for the judge or because that judge is a hard ass or the judge is inexperienced and is truly saying it is only average. I'm emotionally stable enough :grin: to handle any of them, I just don't like not knowing.

Good luck. I'm throwing in for you.

, I'd like to know if that 6 I occaisionaly get is because it's a horrible experience for the judge or because that judge is a hard ass or the judge is inexperienced and is truly saying it is only average.

Here is what I would like to see....After the last card is turned in to the table captain...he says...for each entry...on taste we had...a 9...3 8's.....a 7...and a 5. Don't identify the entry...just the range of scores.

That kinda tells the judge who wrote the 5 that he is out of line compared to the other judges at the the table. I know down here in the south the rep will most likely to talk to that judge...but it doesn't always happen.

It can be used the other way also.....if I hear that the table gave all 6's and 7's...and I gave a 9...maybe I need to rethink what excellent is in BBQ.

Dave, thanks. That seems to make sense. You're essentially calling everyone out, good or bad. It's not to make an example, but just to give everyone a sense of what is happening.

Pellet Envy had a beta test of judging on their FB page a couple months ago that seemed to address some of this...at least to tell the cooks how they stacked up against others at the same table. It made sense to me.

you have my vote ...but you gotta stop calling me shirley :p

Dave, thanks. That seems to make sense. You're essentially calling everyone out, good or bad. It's not to make an example, but just to give everyone a sense of what is happening.

Pellet Envy had a beta test of judging on their FB page a couple months ago that seemed to address some of this...at least to tell the cooks how they stacked up against others at the same table. It made sense to me.

I judge as well as compete. Judges never see the final score sheets for a comp, and they have no way of ever knowing how their scores affected the outcome. The new tracking system is intended to provide better feedback to teams as well as KCBS internally, but without access to the data, it does nothing for judges, and this overlooks a huge opportunity.

Once it goes live, KCBS should post the detailed results online in such a way that judges can find their scores by table and seat number after a comp and have some way of seeing how they scored vs. the rest of their table. As a cook, I'd be interested to see if the judge at table 4, seat 2 was just hypercritical when he judged my ribs or if he was like that all day long. The judge at table 4, seat 2 should also be interested to see that, too.

Judges who care need this to gauge whether they are judging fairly and identify areas for improvement. If KCBS makes that data available, then the new system has potential to be a really useful tool for both judges and cooks.

Back