• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My new tailgate grill score.

B

Bdresch

4cc8cc29-2f51-dd2d.jpg

Found a Smokey Joe Platinum new never used on Craigslist out of Ohio. Asking price of $35 plus $35 shipping to WI. He said he got it 5 years ago and never took it out of the box. I'm gonna throw some brats on it tonight and break it in. I was tossing around the idea of getting a Q200 for the last few summers for tailgating and camping but really wanted charcoal. Glad I found one. I don't know why they would discontinue this, it's gotta be the ultimate tailgate grill!

the are coming out with it again. Already on lowes website, but vent is on bottom with pan. going to be $59

could you put a link for that ? didn't find it at the lowes site and i havn't read about that at all.

could you put a link for that ? didn't find it at the lowes site and i havn't read about that at all.

It says "not available" on the Lowe's site. I don't know why they have something you can't buy up on their site.

CD

i didn't see it at all. but yea, i doubt it coming back. best is to just take a regular 18.5 kettle and put short legs on.

Just cooked up some brats. Definitely doesn't breath like a Performer but it should work great for game day. About 1/2 a chimney full of charcoal seems like it will be the right amount for indirect. That's cool that they might bring it back. The smokey joe gold is just too small for more than 3-4 people.

4cc8cc29-72e1-4485.jpg

Nice find. I didn't even know these things existed until about 10 days ago when I saw it mentioned on this place and yeah, i NEED one!

Beginning to realize it's never gonna end. :twitch:

A bird in the had is worth two in the bush. If they ever actually go back in to production with the new one. I have seen in my industry where a manufacture will advertise a product and see how many bites they get. If they get enough they do it, if not scrap it. So what you have there is solid. Whether they build it or not you now have one in your hand. Great buy and a great price.

ok, very interesting. i notice that the vent is on the bottom. wonder if it will need the "can" mod ?

ok, very interesting. i notice that the vent is on the bottom. wonder if it will need the "can" mod ?
Looks like side vents too me, you can see them in the photo of the brats cooking. .

It says "not available" on the Lowe's site. I don't know why they have something you can't buy up on their site.

CD

When I put in a zip code where I knew there was a Lowe's, the site said available for in store pickup.

EDIT: Went to the next step and back to "unavailable" :(

Mini WSM from a Smokey Joe Platinum (Jumbo Joe)

I recently got my hands on a Smokey Joe Platinum and found it makes a great Mini Smokey Mountain. The guy I bought the Smokey Joe from had done some nice mods (temp gauge and two additional smokey mountain vents on the bottom for better air flow).

I bought a WSM Pro-Q stacker off e-Bay and turned it upside down. Fits like it was made for it. I also added a second grate, a heat defuser (16" pizza pan with holes drilled in it) and a water pan. This thing is awesome! Keeps really steady between 225 and 275. Very controllable with the mods I've got.

Here are some pics.

By the way, my local ACE told me these were coming back.

Attachments

• IMAG0201.jpg
    IMAG0201.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 187
  • IMAG0202.jpg
    IMAG0202.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 185
  • IMAG0203.jpg
    IMAG0203.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 184
How exactly does that work? Is the pan in place of the charcoal grate? Do the coals sit on the pan or under? Forgive my ignorance. I've never actually used a dedicated smoker.

I recently got my hands on a Smokey Joe Platinum and found it makes a great Mini Smokey Mountain. The guy I bought the Smokey Joe from had done some nice mods (temp gauge and two additional smokey mountain vents on the bottom for better air flow).

I bought a WSM Pro-Q stacker off e-Bay and turned it upside down. Fits like it was made for it. I also added a second grate, a heat defuser (16" pizza pan with holes drilled in it) and a water pan. This thing is awesome! Keeps really steady between 225 and 275. Very controllable with the mods I've got.

Here are some pics.

By the way, my local ACE told me these were coming back.

Thank you for posting this!!! It's ON FARKERS!! Mini Jumbo Joe WSM's!!!!!

Bresch,

Happy to describe how I put it together. It actually worked out really well. The charcoal goes on the charcoal grate like it would when you use it normally. I'm thinking about putting toghther a charcoal basket or ring like the WSMs. But I digress. After the charcoal goes on (BTW, I use the minion method) I put the grill grate on as it would normally go on and then place the heat diffuser (pizza pan) and then the water pan on top.

Here's the cool part. With the WSM Pro-Q, which you can find on ebay at fairly decent prices, there are clips for holding up the rack that's included. Well if you turn the Pro-Q upside down, it fits nice and snug (almost too snug) just inside the Smokey Joe. Then, if you turn the clips over you can place the rack on top of those clips. By doing this the rack, which was previously the top rack but is now the bottom rack, fits just slightly over where my water pan sits.

Now for the 2nd rack. I bought some screws, with metal spacers and wingnuts; 3 sets. I then drilled holes near the top of the Pro-Q directly aligned with the clips that I described before. Then I bought a regular Weber 18" grate and it fit perfectly as you can see in my pics.

So its:
- Charcoal grate
- Charcoal
- Smokey Joe grate
- Diffuser (16" pizza pan)
- Water pan (12" cake pan)
Then place the Pro-Q on upside down and insert
- Bottom grate (came with the Pro-Q)
- Top grate (Weber 18")

... and you you're ready to go. Also note that with the Pro-Q upside down, the lid fits on top perfectly.

Hope this helps.

You beat me to it. Congrats!

4cc8cc29-2f51-dd2d.jpg

Found a Smokey Joe Platinum new never used on Craigslist out of Ohio. Asking price of $35 plus $35 shipping to WI. He said he got it 5 years ago and never took it out of the box. I'm gonna throw some brats on it tonight and break it in. I was tossing around the idea of getting a Q200 for the last few summers for tailgating and camping but really wanted charcoal. Glad I found one. I don't know why they would discontinue this, it's gotta be the ultimate tailgate grill!

I called this guy too, but you beat me to it. He was a real nice, honorable guy so congrats on getting it. I was trying to get this as a second because I already have one that I converted to a mini WSM. Not that I can't still use it as intended but these are so cool, I wanted a spare. Look further down this chain (2nd page) and I've got pictures of my smoker. Very cool. Have fun!

Back