Smoking boneless pork shoulder

mountaineermike

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hey guys, first real post here other than introduction, and I have a question about, you guessed it, cooking a boneless pork shoulder. My mother in law bought two of these the other day and gave them to us. The package says "pork shoulder blade Boston roast" and they are a little over 3.5# each. They are currently thawing and I want to cook them up on Sunday.

My question is, can these be cooked like a regular Boston butt and used for pulled pork? Would I be better off taking them off a little sooner and slicing like a roast? Should I brine, or inject? I've done several regular butts on my kamado, but never a boneless and I dont want to ruin them and have to order pizza for my in-laws.

Sorry for the noob questions, I have just started smoking and bbqing this spring and I'm learning as I go. I appreciate any suggestions you all have.

Mike

I would smoke them like the boston butt for pulled pork.of course there is no bile to wiggle and you may have to go longer as there is no bone to carry the heat into the middle. If you are going to cook both you can take one off early to slice and let the other continue for pulling.

You have boneless butts. They may tend to fall apart during cooking depending on what the meat cutter was drinkin the night before. :wacko:

Lots of folks tie 'em up with butchers' twine, then cook like a bone in butt. When it's probe tender, it's done.

pork butt boneless or boned needs to smoke slow and long. I would cook slow without the injetion or brine smoke it up with some nice hickory smoke here is more info .

what to do with your butt

This cut of hog is relatively cheap as a food because it takes some effort to cook it.It contains bone and hard connective tissue which soften up during the cooking process in the smoker best at a temperature of 225 degrees or around that.
Prior to cooking I like to place a rub on my pig and coat it all over. Usually I will leave the butt for at least 3-4 hours coated with the rub prior to cooking. Some people like to inject various sauces or marinades unto the inner meat of the shoulder meat.
When you cook in the smoker it will come out great if you do it low and long-low temp around 225 and long it takes approximately one hour per pound of pork shoulder.
i like to smoke with a few water logged pieces of hickory wood. When is the butt done?
When you reach a temperature above 160f but you should aim to cook around 200 to make the meat soft and then you will be able to pull the meat of easily to make-- so called pulled-pork. You can rip off pieces using a knife and a fork and then add some bbq sauce or just serve it without sauce letting people put their favorite sauce on. My favorite bbq sauce is vinegar based tomato with hardly any sugar but lots of black pepper and chili powder such to give it a tangy hot flavor flavor.
I just love to drench bbq sauce on pulled-pork sandwiches it has such a great taste. It goes well with two bbq sides of cole slaw and potato salad. Make sure you include a nice dessert such as peach or apple cobbler for the end of the meal.

Make sure you are cooking your hog on a deluxe smoker like i do-you want your pulled-pork to be happy. its sad that so much of the world doesn't eat pork they just don't know what they are missing.
The butt most be smoked right!
What are you going to serve with the pulled-pork

I love my pork so much and often have a hard time to think what to serve with my pork-shoulder so what i do is just toss a coin in the air and pick a side,well sometimes i just have two good sides. I always have slaw as a side and then either potato salad or make bbq beans are always good choices. Some friends think of the bbq sauce as a side because they drench the pulled pork in it but to me a side needs to be solid. You need to put your fork into the side and pick it up. A nice bbq sauce always seems to drip down my chin and shirt.
But I don't care it is the best way to eat your butt!

attribution how to cook butt
http://thebarbecuemaster.net/butt.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a big brisket on Sunday and threw on a shoulder and some yard bird as an afterthought, really. But I did it more sliced like, since that's how I was going for the brisket. But it was really good and lended itself well to slices.

Not an expert by any means, but it went over really well.

Tie it up with butcher's twine, which will help prevent it from drying out. Other than that, you can pretty much treat it like a normal butt.

well, I'm fixin' to throw four 7#'ers on tonight. Costco butcher de-boned them. wasn't thrilled when I saw that, but I wasn't prepared for the cost difference to go somewhere else.

I plan on doing them up just like I always do... low and slow to 195* or so. they've had rub on them since last night and will go in at 9pm

I cut a flap off each piece so they lay nicely and the wound is as sealed as adding twine can do for it.

Thanks for all the help and the links guys, very informative. Looks like I'll be having some pulled pork Sunday. I have family coming over to help me rip up my old deck and build a new one, so I figured the least I could do is cook for em and provide a delicious beverage or two.

I have yet to find my go-to sauce for pork, I was thinking of trying the one from the Wicked Good BBQ book. I like sweet with a tiny hint of smoke and kick. Any thoughts or has anybody tried that sauce?

i put a dry rub on the day before. for bbq sauce added to the pork as it is eaten (on a bun or whatever), honestly I'm still using Sweet Baby Rays honey. it was the only product on the shelve around here that didn't have fake smoke flavor added.

I'm new to BBQ/smoking for the most part, so I haven't ventured into making my own sauces yet. Frankly I'm trying to get my wife to do it :D

You have boneless butts. They may tend to fall apart during cooking depending on what the meat cutter was drinkin the night before. :wacko:

Lots of folks tie 'em up with butchers' twine, then cook like a bone in butt. When it's probe tender, it's done.

^^^^
What he said. The butchers twine is key as the smaller 'fingers' of meat around where the bone was will overcook if they are left to dangle... lesson learned and impressed upon the Procurement Officer (wife)

Great advice.
I am doing my first as we speak and have learned that some things I didn't know may cost me in the result.
I didn't tie it, for example, after the slather.
Cross fingers.

ITemp at 64C after 4 and a half hours.
Tempted to foil...but the outer colour is good and not too dark yet.

Holy brotherhood, I am just blown away by the care for Mountaineer Mike and I.
Catcha later with results dudes.
You too mountaineermike, I'll help all I can!:-o

I use those little roast all the time. They make good Q and are done done in 6-8 hours. I foil at 170. I like the cause I can put 3 on with different rubs and injections. Plus no over night cook. Never had one fall apart on me. Let us know how yours go.

I use those little roast all the time. They make good Q and are done done in 6-8 hours. I foil at 170. I like the cause I can put 3 on with different rubs and injections. Plus no over night cook. Never had one fall apart on me. Let us know how yours go.
I'm freaking out because it is my first time at these techniques!
It goes against all my experience.:wacko:
Boshizzle gave me a little advice so I just stuck to it and a 4 hour cook has gone long to a 7+ hour cook because that probe was not going through butter///there was resistance!
I just got it covered and off, into a small cooled and wrapped.
Now, all I can do is trust and hope!
:pray:

Tasted it finally.
Gelatinous smokey rich with my own sauce smeared on the bread.
Holy cow, I'm a convert.
Truly.

Sounds good buccaneer. Making me hungry just thinking about it. Tomorrow can't get here fast enough. I had the wife check the local Krogers for some butchers twine, she couldn't find any. Anything else I can use besides the twine?

Sounds good buccaneer. Making me hungry just thinking about it. Tomorrow can't get here fast enough. I had the wife check the local Krogers for some butchers twine, she couldn't find any. Anything else I can use besides the twine?
I didn't use anything but I tucked the loose thin bits underneath out of instinct, mine came out very moist.
I bought silicon bands and use those but just didn't this time...I will next time..

You need to find some string that will be foodsafe and wont get altered by the heat...so that old school hemp string will work but plastic stuff won't.
You could use scallion and tie it but it wont hold if it gets jiggled, Mike.

I asked Boshizzle for some tips and the one that saved my butt (ugh, sorry) was to wait until it was probe tender, no matter how long it took.
It was 3 hours longer than I anticipated...so that tip was a saviour!
I also managed to get it off without the black bark, but a much lighter mahogany colour.
I'm really pleased with my first attempt, and the eating when it was hot after the wrapped rest period...oh lawdy.
Slippery tender moist and exquisite.
Chopped the rest and the lady took sammies to work, a very happy camper.
The sauce I made was a kinda Tony Roma sauce with lots more kick, it came out extraordinarily well, I am really pleased.
I'll bever be able to duplicate it exactly, I cook by taste most of the time, adding here and there kinda herding it to where I want it.
Looking forward to hearing about yours.
Thanks Bo and brethren teachers!:clap2:

Back