Was it the lump?

Sway

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Did a beer can chicken today and used RO lump for the first time. Both temperature gauges were about 250/260 and it went for 3-1/2hrs, checked the IT and it was only at 130 and the bottome still looked raw :twitch:

Im lost, dont get it? Did I do something wrong? Do I need to bring the temp up higher, maybe 300?

PS, its in the oven right now so we can eat:mad2:

So I needed to have a higer cooking temp? Thought I did the first one about 250ish, maybe Im wrong?

Did a beer can chicken today and used RO lump for the first time. Both temperature gauges were about 250/260 and it went for 3-1/2hrs, checked the IT and it was only at 130 and the bottome still looked raw :twitch:

Im lost, dont get it? Did I do something wrong? Do I need to bring the temp up higher, maybe 300?

PS, its in the oven right now so we can eat:mad2:

You made the one rookie mistake we all do. Tried to smoke chicken at low temps. Poultry likes to be cooked in the 325-350 range. That's why I always use my OTS for chicken. Indirect at 350ish is easy. A beer can chicken shouldn't take more than 1.5-2 hours this way.

This was my rookie mistake trying to smoke chix:

Chicken04.jpg

The skin was horrible. I tossed the skin and made chicken burritos out of the meat. Next attempt with the OTS:

July3chicken002.jpg

What kind of cooker are you using?

I'd cook chicken around 325-350 for crispy skin and to get it out of the temperature danger zone quicker.

It's not the RO. I have used it a lot with excellent results every time.

Chicken is cheap, just try again.

I've done some whole chickens on my COS at 275-300 and done in about 3 hours. 25 degrees is all it takes to really speed up the cooking process.

Doug-E-Q

You made the one rookie mistake we all do. Tried to smoke chicken at low temps. The skin was horrible.

What you saying Willis? I do agree Chicken comes out good at higher temps, I do it this way a lot, but I have done lower temps and had excellent smoked chicken. When done right it cannot be beat! Other that the Skin which is bad for your health anyway.

For original poster, I think your thermometer is off, calibrate it.

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};2060124 said:
What you saying Willis? I do agree Chicken comes out good at higher temps, I do it this way a lot, but I have done lower temps and had excellent smoked chicken. When done right it cannot be beat! Other that the Skin which is bad for your health anyway.

For original poster, I think your thermometer is off, calibrate it.

From the OP:
Both temperature gauges were about 250/260 and it went for 3-1/2hrs
3.5 hours and it wasn't done. That sums it up doesn't it?

From the OP: 3.5 hours and it wasn't done. That sums it up doesn't it?

Yes it does, their thermometers are not calibrated correctly.

Your comment was saying Smoked Chicken was a rookie mistake, not true. Your first picture in your post looks like you cooked direct and the 2nd was indirect.

So what is your point?

Sort of. The first pic was done on the no longer owned by me COS at temps in the mid 250s. My fire management skills were zero back then. Lots of bad smoke and it shows.

Second pic was indirect on the chicken cooking machine (OTS) at around 350-375 with a couple apple chunks. They were amazing.

I still can't figure out how a BC chix can take that long to be done. Thermometer is suspect for sure. Something else may be up.. Peeking every 15 minutes maybe?

My comment was supposed to be interpreted as smoking chicken at temps lower than 325 is a mistake btw. Unless you like to chew on rubber bands.

Was the beer cold or at room tempwhen you started the cook? IMO, that's not the underlying reason why the chicken wasn't cooked to temp, but it certainly could be a contributing factor. I'm not a huge fan of the beer can chicken, but when I have done it, I use a room temp beer.

The more work that fuel has to do to get other things up to temp (cold chicken, cold beer, liquid-filled water pan, etc.), the longer it's going to take to get the meat up to an edible temp.

I also agree with cooking at a higher temp. I prefer 300-325 as well for chicken.

Best of luck to you.....you'll totally figure it out. Keep us posted.

Sort of. The first pic was done on the no longer owned by me COS at temps in the mid 250s. My fire management skills were zero back then. Lots of bad smoke and it shows.

Second pic was indirect on the chicken cooking machine (OTS) at around 350-375 with a couple apple chunks. They were amazing.

I still can't figure out how a BC chix can take that long to be done. Thermometer is suspect for sure. Something else may be up.. Peeking every 15 minutes maybe?

My comment was supposed to be interpreted as smoking chicken at temps lower than 325 is a mistake btw. Unless you like to chew on rubber bands.

I agree........

All thermometers are not created equal, nor are their speeds/times to achieve a proper reading anything to resemble equality.

Back