$299 Char-Griller Kamado First Looks

I think lump has a higher burn temperature than briquettes. It also burns cleaner with less ash. Lumps are 100% coal while briquettes are made of composite materials.

Why do they recommend lump over briquettes. It seems you would be able to control temps better with briquettes. Is there a problem if you don't use lump in this smoker? I ask because I just loaded up on the Kingsford charcoal sale HD had a couple weeks ago. Thanks

I have used lump and bricks. IMO they both work well.

Well I broke down and bought a Char-Griller komado last night. Wanted to get one unassembled so I could put it together the way I wanted but they only had two in stock and both were assembled (the display and one they had assembled that day). We checked 3 other stores in the area and they had zero left in stock so I decided to pull the trigger as I was afraid they might get backordered and one might not be available for awhile.

Haven't yet seasoned it. Haven't even bought lump for it.

Should I go ahead and seal the air inlet with ATV Silicone before I season it?

Has anyone seen one of these in the Cincinnati Ohio area? I have checked Lowes, Meijer, and Ace and have not found one. For the money they look to be awesome.

I would just go ahead and seal it up. At the worst it will just make it easier to use and that ain't all bad!!

Ken

All this talk about lump and briquettes! My thought is kingsford wants all the briquettes burning and ashed over. I assume that is to burn off the manufacturing gunk used in making them. I don't see how you could do that with a low and slow using the minion method. Maybe high heat briquettes, low and slow lump??

One bit of new information I have learned about this cooker in my experience with it so far... It's easier to control your temperature, especially on the low and slow side of things, with Stubbs all-natural briquettes instead of lump. I cooked a couple butts the other day using Stubbs and instead of fighting to keep the temp lower, I actually had to open the vents a little to get it up to where I wanted it. I'll most likely be switching to natural briquettes in the future with this cooker when I'm targeting specific temps at 300 degrees or less... I'll use lump for hotter cooking...

So just the opposite of what I thought! Go figure!!
Ken

Ashing over has nothing to do with any ingredients in the briquettes... it's just so the briquettes will be producing an even heating surface for your food.

Great info JM. I'm still waiting for a review of the B&B natural oak briquettes. Hoping for good news, low ash, clean burn, etc.

AustinKnight was supposed to do a cook with them, but haven't heard a peep...

Has anyone seen one of these in the Cincinnati Ohio area? I have checked Lowes, Meijer, and Ace and have not found one. For the money they look to be awesome.

Check your local Kroger's, they may have some in stock. My local Kroger has the wooden shelves model for $299. YMMV

Are there any other 100% natural coal briquettes? I thought all briquettes are made of composite materials...

My local Lowes finally have them and i bought one initially.. i am gonna get up to 3 as a back up for my FEC 100 . Doing the initial burn and will get a tru temp temp gauge to replace the one furnished. Also missing some hex bolts and nuts for my side tables. The box was previously opened and retaped.

I was interested in picking up one of these also. Does anyone know what the status of Lowe's is as far as getting more in?

Lowes, Kroger, & some other places all have varieties of this cooker.
I got mine from Kroger , same price as Lowes.

I was interested in picking up one of these also. Does anyone know what the status of Lowe's is as far as getting more in?
In Minnesota check Lowes & Menards. Lowes is black with steel tables, Menards is red with wood tables. Keep in mind that my local Menards had last years model with the (not as desirable) thin steel top vent on display.

I found one at a local Meier`s store. The only one left was a floor model. It was missing some nuts and bolts for the side tables. I got them to sell it to me for $230 since it was the floor model and missing two nuts and bolts. I was very happy with the deal. I got it home and replaced the missing bolts. This one is a newer model as it has the cg logo on the CI center plate and the black metal chimney vent. It has a large diameter wood handle and wood shelves. I will try to do the initial burn in tonight. I am glad I got to read this thread. I have been using a very large offset smoker even for small cooks and it is not fuel friendly. I look forward to having a personal size grill/smoker. The exterior color of this cg akorn kamado kooker is brown. I will get pics as soon as I can.

i love mine.

comfortably fit 3 racks of loin backs on it last weekend and probably could have found room for a 4th.

8ec29b4a.jpg

That looks excellent. I wish I had a upper rack like that on my Weber kettle

Back