• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

long distance logistics; plz help

boogiesnap

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
hi guys, so looking forward, if i am lucky enough to advance in the sam club series:rolleyes:, i'd have to haul my a** and gear from ct. to ark.

what has been the best process for this in y'alls experience? i've only competed @ 300 miles away at most.

i don't have an RV or trailer.

my thoughts are:

1) fly down with meats and drop ship equipment on-site.
2) rent a uhaul trailer, and drive down, staying in hotels. prolly 3 days there and back.
3) rent an RV

any thoughts?

I'm not an experiecned world BBQ traveler like others in this forum, but I do have some ideas on the matter for the same reasons as you - I'm a forward thinker. Before I suggest anything though, I think it might be best to know what you have and what you do now. What's your cooking geer? What's your mode of travel for up to 300 miles? Knowing that might help come up with the best solution.

dmp

I was on the other end of that equation...

An out of state team flew in... and I lent them my gear, time, and beotchin' skills.

i cook on 2 22.5 WSM's, 2, sometimes 3, coleman extreme coolers. 1 caravan 10X10 canopy, 2 folding tables. plus various odds and ends.

somehow or another i get it all into my Xterra. it's unpleasant, but it fits.

*edit*
definatley would NOT want to drive 2400 or so miles like that.

You may find a Brother in the area who can lend you a couple of WSMs, tables, EZ-Up, etc. and then you can dive or fly in.

I agree with the rest. See about borrowing or renting a U-Haul trailer. XTerra should have hitch and four-flat, drive like that. Stay at hotels or friends'. Open trailer would probably be "okay" for what you have capacity wise, but it's not secure. You could also see about borrowing something larger like a minivan, but then you have to worry about keeping it clean. Other alternative is to borrow everything and either drive down without a trailer or fly.

dmp

EDIT: If you get a large enough trailer, you may be able to bring a cot and sleep inside to save on hotels. Truck stop or rest stop would work there, but most truck stops have showers for use as well.

wow. love the confidence. :p After i win my first contest ever, and get the jack draw for NY, how much should i pay poobah to drive my stuff down.

Just kidding man. actually good question
See ya in Medford

wow. love the confidence. :p After i win my first contest ever, and get the jack draw for NY, how much should i pay poobah to drive my stuff down.

Just kidding man. actually good question
See ya in Medford

i play to win. :becky:

you can follow my cook threads as the season approaches...see what you'll be up against. :p

A bumper buddy would hold the 2 WSM's and they in turn can hold a bunch of stuff. Frees up a lot of room in the veh. They can be picked up at most hardware stores and even off Craig's list.

I like this thread. Im running into the same problem right now.

looks like i need a receiver and hitch in any case.

i like the bumper buddy idea for running "locally".

i think a rented trailer for the long haul is a the best idea.

my wife can't stand having a weekends worth of cooking and camping gear stacked up to the back of her neck. kinda don't blame her.

I wouldn't bother pulling a trailer or putting all those miles on my own car. I would rent a regular size cargo van. I've been transporting all my stuff like that since day one. IF you can get one of those high top sprinter vans even better. Luckily when I made the trip to Lynchburg my buddy let me borrow his. It's a Mercedes diesel. I got 26 mpg on that thing. Plus in a van just you can just pull over recline the seat back and sleep.At the contest site once its empty I can blow up an air mattress in it to sleep

good thought, but, little spendy @ over $100 a day.

i did put rent an RV as an option though, didn't i?

good thought, but, little spendy @ over $100 a day.

i did put rent an RV as an option though, didn't i?

Last time I checked renting an RV is much more than $100 a day. But if you win the first two contests it will be easy to swing:becky:

Last time I checked renting an RV is much more than $100 a day. But if you win the first two contests it will be easy to swing:becky:

I was thinking, with an RV, I'd save 4-6 hotel stays.

With the van, I'm still in a hotel, I think.

The sprinter is great for both, but haven't found one to rent yet.

If you rent an RV, try and rent one that you can pick up near the contest site so you don't have to pay big bucks for the miles too.

I rented an RV as a test run before I bought one. The problem is, unlike a rental car, they charge miles. Most truck and van rentals will too, but a trailer rental won't. I would recommend that route....or buy a used RV and use it for contests.

Back