Brisket Questions

Soulman1282

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I did my first brisket a while ago (just a flat, not a whole packer), and it came out kinda dry. I pulled it at about 180 internal, which I now know is a bit too soon, but I think I may have wrapped it a little late also. At what internal temp do you guys normally warp your briskets? Or if you don't do it by temp, after how long on do you wrap it? Any more experienced info would help! Thanks!

The main problem is probably that it was taken off too soon. I cook mine to probe tenderness which usually happens between 195-200° then pull it off, foil it, and let it rest.

I usually wrap mine around 150-160. Then I keep it wrapped until it probes tender(190-205ish). You pulled it a little too early.

This is what I do for hot n fast with full choice briskets 14 pounders at 325 - 350* for about 6hours total including rest in a cooler. I wrap mine at 165* and put in 3/4 of a cup of low sodium beef broth in, and pull it at 205. People will say don't go on temp go on feel when it probes like butter. If you wait tell it probes through like butter all over it is going to be over cooked in my opinion, I know what kinda feels like butter but isn't over cooked that's 205 to me. I dump the juices and you can do whatever you want with them, wrap the brisket in foil and a moving blanket drop it in a cooler for 1hour. I've been doing brisket for awhile now and this is how I do them. It will be juicy, I also inject mine with the same beef broth and fine ground brisket rub I use on the brisket. I'm not one for trial and error I like to do things right the first time and its taken me many briskets to do this, now I only do them this way because I feel it's the right way on my uds. Keep reading on here you'll figure it out this site really helps I'm very thankful for the breathern.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

I use the same as above on the hot and fast, but i do not add any juice when i foil or wrap. SOmetimes i just let it ride without foiling and it is just as good.

I wrap between 160 and 165 (about the time of the stall). I start probing between 190 and 195 and check every 15 or 20 minutes after that. In fact I have one wrapped in the cooker right now.

It will probably be done somewhere between 195 and 205 (when the probe first slides in like buttah). I've heard that it could be done at a lower temperature, but I've never seen it. Gotta go, time to give it another probe...

I don't care what the internal temp is when I foil. I'm looking for a certain bark color and I foil when I see that. I have taken the internal temp a couple of times to see what it is and it was between 150 and 160, but it really doesn't matter to me.

I don't usually wrap briskets or butts during the cook unless I am pushed for time.
I pull them when they probe like butter, then wrap them in foil and into a cooler for a rest - I like at least an hour, but 2 is better.

Thanks for all the help guys! I have never tried the hot and fast method. Seems counter to everything I've learned about BBQ, but if it works, it works.

One thing to keep in mind when doing just a flat is how it was trimmed. I know that grocery stores around me sell trimmed flats but there is almost no fat left on them. Sure, they look great in the meat cooler but I would be concerned about the lack of fat contributing to the dryness. Personally, I only do packers so I don't have any experience to say this is true or not. It is just something I observed and it seems logical. Maybe someone who cooks flats can chime in and let me know if my logic is sound or if I am just nuts :crazy:

Back