• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Legends of BBQ

I guess,I just don't pay that much attention to alot of the names mentioned, mine would be the ones on here that gave me ideas that work for me.

Whew! This is gonna be interesting...I imagine you're gonna get answers form all across the board...local, regional, national, and international BBQ Legends...but...what the hey...here are a few of mine. In no order of priority...

Ray Lampe...aka Dr. BBQ
Adam Perry Lang
Paul Kirk
Todd Johns
David Butcher
Chris Lilly
Bob Gibson
Mike Mills
David Klose
Jim Minion
Cheryl & Bill Jamison
Brian Moriarty
Steve Sanders
Johnny Trigg
Myron Mixon
Harry Soo
Chris Capell
Darien Kosmo

These are off the top of my head and based on how they have influenced me and the way I do BBQ...some are historic legends...some are local legends...some are cutting edge...some are making influences as I type...:p

Great list....add John Willingham, Bill Arnold, and in the NE...Chris Schlesinger and disciples in the Boston Mass area....eg Chris Hart, Andy Husbands etc...and Steve Farrin et al...they and most of your list along with Purple Turtles and other close friends have been an influence...along with authors of the 1000 plus cookbooks that I continue to collect...and read from cover to cover! And of course..Phil and Bandera 101...thanks for his help otherwise I probably would not have have gone into competition with a Bandera and got 2nd in chicken, 3rd in Brisket and 4th in beef ribs and 5th overall at Lime Rock CT in our second comp....and 6th in pork in our first comp at Hudson Valley Rib Fest and 17th overall...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

I have to put in order;
1st:Rob Rainford of the show License to grill, (I know it says grill, but his show inspired me)
2nd: John Markus, who kicked me up a notch with season 1 BBQ pitmasters
3rd: Phil Rizzardi, for without this forum, our collective skills would be nowhere near where they are!

Whew! This is gonna be interesting...I imagine you're gonna get answers form all across the board...local, regional, national, and international BBQ Legends...but...what the hey...here are a few of mine. In no order of priority...

Ray Lampe...aka Dr. BBQ
Adam Perry Lang
Paul Kirk
Todd Johns
David Butcher
Chris Lilly
Bob Gibson
Mike Mills
David Klose
Jim Minion
Cheryl & Bill Jamison
Brian Moriarty
Steve Sanders
Johnny Trigg
Myron Mixon
Harry Soo
Chris Capell
Darien Kosmo

These are off the top of my head and based on how they have influenced me and the way I do BBQ...some are historic legends...some are local legends...some are cutting edge...some are making influences as I type...:p
You forgot
JD Mcgee (JD knows his stuff)
Anthony and Christene James
Lynnae Oxley
And so many more,,,,

I would say BBQ Bubba, but I taught him everything he knows so I guess me!! :becky:

Just kidding, most of the big names have been mentioned. From our neck of the woods, Billy Bones for sure.

I'm shocked no one mentioned Kevin Roberts, host of BBQ Pitmasters. He's so smokin sharp. OK I'm off to the woodpile.

'Wally' Wallace, and all the old men who took the time to teach BBQ to someone who asked. Wally ran the BBQ joint where I first tasted good BBQ brisket and pulled pork. And when I asked him how he did it, he told me and showed me. None of that 'it's a secret' garbage. I will never be able to pay Myron or Johnny or even Todd for lessons, but, I learned of, learned what and learned how from a man who just taught cause I asked. Just like generations of folks have learned to cook BBQ.

And so I will pay it forward until I can't cook anymore.

Hmmm Lets see.

Paul Kirk
Chris Lily
Johnny Trigg
Mike Davis
Myron Mixon
Henry Ford(Invented Charcoal Briquets)
George Stephen Sr.(Invented The Weber Kettle)
Maybe Alton Brown and Bobby Flay they do alot to help the popularity grow.

There are so many greats, but who can forget Popdaddy's Personal Pitmaster Donnie T!!!

In all seriousness I would put Phil Rizzardi towards the top of this list. I believe this forum has done as much, or more, for the expansion of BBQ over the years as anyone on any of the lists so far.

We are talking about influence here. And this forum has had a tremendous influence on the BBQ culture in a American and elsewhere.

Well, I gotta say this holds a lot of truth for me. If it were not for the Brethren (and by that I mean Phil) I would still be stuck using a gasser and trying not to scorch my burgers and chicken breast. Geez, that sounds lousy, instead I'm making awesome Que that my friends and family love; I'm "window shopping" all the time looking at dropping thousands on a Lang, Meadowcreek, Gator pit, or some other dang cooker. I obsess about Que, I spend hours planning years down the road for catering, competing, making this my living. This place, this community, has sparked inside me dreams bigger than I ever thought I would have. I have a good job, one that offers early retirement. I always thought that is all I wanted in life. Now I have dreams for so much more. And yes, many others have influenced me to be cooking what and how I cook now. But nobody else influenced me more than The Brethren!

Pat Burke of Apple City (He and Mike Mills were the main guys) and later of Tower Rock BBQ has never gotten the credit he deserves- a true Gentleman of BBQ as the wife likes to say.

Amen to 42 bbq!!!! If I need to know something I usually come here , but most of the people that mention never heard of them

Back