1st Brisket attempt, more ABT's pron

4dueces

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Our first attempt at a brisket, turned out very tasty. However I need some advice on how we make it so the brisket can be sliced instead of pulled. Also some more ABT's made with hot banana's and string cheese stuffings.
IMG_0004-1.jpg

IMG_0003_2.jpg

IMG_0005-1.jpg

The first thing I see in the second brisket pic is that it appears to be sliced/cut with the grain which will make it shred.
The meat grain on the pint and flat run in different directions, so I would seperate the falt from the point, identify the direction of the grain, and slice 90 degrees across the grain. This will make the meat fibers very short and makes your slices hold together yet be very tender.
BTW, your brisket looks incredibly juicy. I'm dieing over here! Good looking ABTs too.

Thanks for the advice. It was very juicy and tasty. We're practing and getting ready for a comp Sept 3-4. The neighbors love it when we practice.

What temprature did you pull the brisket from the smoker at? It may be a combination of slicing with the grain and pulling it too late(done this before:tsk:).

What temprature did you pull the brisket from the smoker at? It may be a combination of slicing with the grain and pulling it too late(done this before:tsk:).

In all honesty, we didn't check the temp. We did probe it and as the tutiorial I read here in another post, the probe slid thru it like butter, so we pulled it. As this was our first attempt, we probably dug in it the wrong way, with the grain. Dang, more practice........:clap2:

It should have a little resistance when you probe it. I always use temp/time to get me close and i use feel from there. Pulled or slices that looks great anyway!:thumb:

Looks really good - but it does looks like you sliced with the grain...which means, you get to cook another brisket!!! Yay!

I would say I agree more with cut wrong, it looks good in terms of cooking.

Back