I did it but it didn't go over well.

Jacked UP BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I was at Roc City Ribfest this weekend and one of the contests was their house comp, the roc city rib off. It was open garnish inedible was fine. I thought it would be funny to do what everyone always talks about and garnish it with $1 bills. I put foil on the bottom and up the sides to protect the food from hitting the money. Well needless to say, the rep was not very happy with me. I still think it is funny as hell as do most others that were at the comp. It was just fun. BUt the rep and the judges were appalled by this. One point was proven to me in this case. Garnish is huge factor in scoring, because I got all 4 and 5's in appearance and one 7. The ribs were at least a 7 all day. Lesson learned go garnish or go home!!!!

They were appalled, did they throw the money back at you in disgust when they were done judging?

Did you hear back from the judges or are you just going from the scores? How did you end up overall? It was my first comp and I did not do the NEBS or KCBS, just ribs on Saturday.

@MattTee - I do not have the results in front of me to see where I ended up. I never looked at the placing. I looked at my scores. I did however talk to a few table captains and a rep who told me how mad everyone was. It was quite obvious they took it out on me. One of the Reps walked over with my box to lecture me but i was not there. The stink and deal they made out of me doing that took any chances I may have had of winning. I was already sour grapes in their books.

Personally, I find it funny. As a cook do you think it might have pissed off some judges, and possibly had some impact on the entries following yours?

Matt, I would have put a note in the lid that all money was laundered and sanitized.....

all 4 and 5's in appearance and one 7.
And silly us, here we were thinking judges were supposed to be scoring the appearance of the meat, not the garnish.
nono.gif
:tape:

@MattTee - I do not have the results in front of me to see where I ended up. I never looked at the placing. I looked at my scores. I did however talk to a few table captains and a rep who told me how mad everyone was. It was quite obvious they took it out on me. One of the Reps walked over with my box to lecture me but i was not there. The stink and deal they made out of me doing that took any chances I may have had of winning. I was already sour grapes in their books.

It was supposed to a be fun backyard contest, I see no problem with it...

L M A O !!!! Seriously, that's a box worth taking a picture of!!!!!

Oh, I only wish I were there to hear the judges....

:clap2:

Does make you wonder though, if those were $20's, would the
score have been different? Would the money have come back?
My hat's off to you!!!!

Does make you wonder though, if those were $20's, would the score have been different? Would the money have come back?

You know, we had a judging class like that, where an entry was lowballed on scores because it "didn't look like there was enough for six portions". Maybe that was the problem!

Making it Rain Ribs!!!

That's awesome!

You were just givin those dolla dolla bills to put them through school, huh?

"It's just people helping people"

We didn't garnish at all and caught a 4, two 5's, two 6's, and a 7. I think we finished 35th in the rib contest...think we will garnish with dollars next time to try and catch a few more 5's and 6's.

What do you have planned for the next garnish?

Seems pretty harmless to me but what the heck do I know.

Back