• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

MY take on the UDS- step by step build

What's your stance on "mods"?

• Most of them are unnecessary.

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • If it works for you, do it.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • They're interesting to see, but I don't really use them myself.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Mod me up! The more the better!

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Each smoker is a unique reflection of its designer, and beautiful in its own right.

Votes: 25 41.0%

• Total voters
I wonder if it would be a good idea to install a tee w/ plug instead of an elbow at the bottom of the long length of 2", to drain any condensate (rain) that gets caught in it.

I think that IS a good idea. Heading to HD today to get the rest of my hardware. I'll update tonight or tomorrow with everything I get done today.

It Seems lke the pipe going to the bottom of your smoker will be in the way when you try to move it using the wheels. I would move the wheels on the other side of the drum. It also seems like your intake is "poking" through your ash-catch plate. If that is the case, there might be a problem with the ash clogging your intake. Edit: I would put a cone of sorts on top of the intake instead of simple plate on the basket.

Simple does not make it better. It just makes it simple. There is always room for improvement.

This is my general blueprint:
Tu-Porkdetail.jpg

Well, Dude, in all sincerity; Good Luck to you. Hopefully your design works out for you, but the biggest difference in your sketch compared to your old build is the elimination of the door. All of the rest of your mods are just details. As I said, Good Luck and keep us posted!

I always like seeing what new Mods people come up with for their UDS. I hope it all works out for you. I usually like to do one mod at a time and see how it works but, that's just me. I thought you're first one "looked" really cool. It's kinda a bummer it hasn't worked well for you. Keep trying man!

Progress as of 4-22-2010

Tu-Pork1.jpg

Here's the barrel and stuff, fresh from the sand-blaster. Got a better deal
than I thought- only charged me $30 for all that. Inside and out.

Tu-pork2.jpg

Tu-pork3.jpg

Tu-pork4.jpg

Tu-pork5.jpg

Tu-pork6.jpg

Tu-pork7.jpg

Tu-pork8.jpg

Tu-pork9.jpg

Tu-pork10.jpg

Tu-pork11.jpg

Tu-pork12.jpg

Tu-pork15.jpg

Tu-pork16.jpg

That's all I could get done today. Was hoping to get further. BTW, I highly recommend getting your drum sand-blasted instead of burning it out. 4-6 hrs of burning + another 4-6 hrs of wire brushing and further cleaning VS 1 hr of driving to the shop and back + 10 minutes waiting + $30... no contest.

Fire away!

I thought you're first one "looked" really cool. It's kinda a bummer it hasn't worked well for you. Keep trying man!

Thanks. That's kinda why I started calling them SDS's (Sexy Drum Smokers). Too bad it was all style and no substance. I now refer to Sean Puffy Coals as my "concept smoker." I tried some ideas and they didn't work. That's why I decided to build "Tu-Pork." Oh well...

Life's a journey; dig it! Or something like that.

It Seems lke the pipe going to the bottom of your smoker will be in the way when you try to move it using the wheels. I would move the wheels on the other side of the drum. It also seems like your intake is "poking" through your ash-catch plate. If that is the case, there might be a problem with the ash clogging your intake. Edit: I would put a cone of sorts on top of the intake instead of simple plate on the basket.

Simple does not make it better. It just makes it simple. There is always room for improvement.

The intake pipe will slide thru a round opening in ash pan, and shouldn't interfere with the wheels- I mocked it up and measured it today. I originally wanted a cone too, but after the fiasco of trying to make a metal funnel for my last build with my extremely limited knowledge and equipment made me think twice. Also, didn't see much different in functionality.

Sorry but I still can't understand why some don't just build it the K.I.S.S. way and be happy. It's a proven setup. Most that don't always come back here with complaints.

I wasn't really complaining, just explaining why I'm doing another build. But I understand what you're saying.

I understand that it's fun to experiment...

BINGO!

...but then when things go wrong there right back here wondering what happened. Good luck I hope you can work out the issues.

I know what happened... now. I admit I should have done a little more research before attempting the first build, but I thought I had a good enough handle on things. And thanks, I'll need it.

I LOVE the single intake from the bottom. Mine run fine without one but it looks like a cool idea. I've toyed wit hthe idea of mounting six UDS on a trailer (six pack mod) but the multiple intakes were always an issue. The bottom single intake would solve a lot of problems.

Keep us posted.

Progress as of 4-23-2010

Got a couple of hrs in before work:

Tu-pork22.jpg

Tu-pork18.jpg

Tu-pork21.jpg

The copper clamps are just temporary while I make another trip to the Depot.

Tu-pork19.jpg

Even with this config, I can still lift the front end almost a foot off the ground before the intake starts to drag. Plenty of clearance!

Tu-pork23.jpg

Tu-pork24.jpg

Tu-pork25.jpg

Tu-pork26.jpg

I screwed the shelf brackets down to a junk 2 X 4 so they wouldn't wobble while I cut them.

Tu-pork27.jpg

Tu-pork28.jpg

All painty!

Might do a second coat.

Not gonna be able to get bcak to the lab for a few days. Will post more when I do.

Ok, so I've bought 3 different types of hinges and I don't think any of them are going
to work without some serious modification to the lid, which I don't want to do
because of potential sealing problems and heat/smoke loss. This is what I think i'm
going to end up making- hopefully it'll work like I think it will.

Tu-Porkhinge.jpg

It basically consists of 2 pieces of flat steel with pivot points at both ends. This
should allow the lid to fit flat on the barrel and swing up and out of the way when
open.

Progress as of 4-26-2010

Snuck over to the lab for a few hours and got a little bit done:

Tu-pork29.jpg

$5 peg board basket, ordered online.

Tu-pork30.jpg

Peg hooks removed.

Tu-pork31.jpg

13" X 13" ash pan I fab'd up quick out of sheet steel.

Tu-pork32.jpg

Tu-pork33.jpg

Tu-pork34.jpg

Tu-pork35.jpg

Tu-pork39.jpg

Tu-pork40.jpg

Tu-pork41.jpg

Hoping to finish the basket and inlet cover next time I get back to the lab. Still have to strip the rust off the wheels and paint 'em, paint and mount the lid, cut, paint and attach the side shelf... so much to do, so little time.

Progress as of 4-28-2010

Made it over to the lab for a few hours after work today. Didn't get much done, but what I did is kinda important:

Tu-pork42.jpg

Underside of ash pan w/ sleeve for air intake pipe.

Tu-pork43.jpg

Inside ash pan.

Tu-pork44.jpg

Assembled ash pan/coal basket.

Tu-pork45.jpg

Ash pan/basket in place.

Tu-pork46.jpg

Shelf w/ handle- all cut-out.

Wish could have gotten more done. Oh well, back at it again tomorrow.

Progress as of 4-29-2010

Finally nearing completion. I'll be able to cook on this baby for my whole vacation, which starts tomorrow! Here's what I got done yesterday:

Tu-pork47.jpg

Wheels stripped, painted and mounted.

Tu-pork48.jpg

Plenty of clearance to tilt back and move it.

Tu-pork49.jpg

Shelf all sanded and sprayed with a good soaking of "Plasti-dip" I had left over from last build. It's a rubberized coating that you'd usually use on tool handles. I thought it would seal the wood well.

Tu-pork50.jpg

All my hinge and handle holes laid-out and drilled.

Tu-pork51.jpg

Hinges installed. They work like a charm. Nice and sturdy and no problems with clearance or sealing to the drum. I did however take the precaution of bending the out lip of the lid out just a little more with a pair of pliers.

That was the last pic I could take before my camera battery died, but I did also get the handles attached, the stack pipe on, and painted the intake damper.

Still have to install my thermometers once they come in the mail, put the intake damper on and christen it, but that's all that's left to do.

It sure is beautiful! Can't wait to start using it.

Looking good, Puffy. I was worried that your lid hinges might either restrict in opening if you have a tight lid, or not allow for a tight lid all together but it sounds like they work!

Did you get a center cap on the bottom of your ash pan? I'm sure you did, but I'd hate to see your intake get plugged on your first run. Good Luck on the smoke!

Puffy...you're like the McGyver of drum builders... :clap2:
Imagine what you could do with a welder at your disposal!
I'm not sure I'd want all those do-dads and gizmo's on my drums, but your ability to accomplish things is remarkable.

One note...not sure how well your basket is going to hold up in extreme heat...and I would definitely remove all the paint off of it before putting any food in the drum with it.

I like the single bottom intake idea. I'm very anxious to see how it regulates/holds temp with that setup.

Back