Chile Verde Stew in the Dutch.....con Pron

I have used several recipes, including a crock pot version. My preference is to brown the meat in bacon fat, brown up onions, garlic and chiles in the fat, then add back in the meat and broth and allow to braise for a few hours. I thicken with masa normally. I should try potatoes though, it sounds good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used several recipes, including a crock pot version. My preference is to brown the meat in bacon fat, brown up onions, garlic and chiles in the fat, then add back in the meat and broth and allow to braise for a few hours. I thicken with masa normally. I should try potatoes though, it sounds good.

Sorry Bob!! No, I have not modded you for a third time!:becky: Once again, in edit mode instead of quote mode. Careless mistake. Sorry.

That recipe sounds REALLY good. I need to try it that way. I already know I'd hit it. :thumb:

Thanks again everyone!

Bob

I like the idea of a 'caldo' like broth for chile verde like eating, I like the idea of a lighter dish than the one I make as an option. Red taters and lots of chicken broth is good to me.

I am sooo glad to see others also using dutch ovens. There are many chili verde recipes. I make one with no broth but use crushed tomatillos, but you are 100% correct---my version will scorch on the bottom if there is too much heat. I usually cook it low and slow with the dutch oven setting on the fiebox of my offset. Witk legs on the dutch oven-the pot is just far enough from the heat source to simmer slow. Biscuits are my weakness and I use sourdough and I slather the biscuits with butter and jalapeno jelly or I smother them with "Red Eye Gravy" Your posts are gonna cause me to leave my diet for at least one meal---good cookin. I hope you entered the cast iron throwdown with that

I like the idea of a 'caldo' like broth for chile verde like eating, I like the idea of a lighter dish than the one I make as an option. Red taters and lots of chicken broth is good to me.
I remember reading a thread somewhere about someone saying they use "instant tater flakes" as a thickener. I've never used it in the verde, but thought that it would be a better alternative to flour. I'm gonna give it a try in my Texas Red Chili. Seems the flakes would incorporate better and add some flavor as well. I'm about finished with the leftovers. I did something a little different last night. I added some Siracha hot sauce........Ooooweee!! Good combo. Gave the dish some heat and tang.

I am sooo glad to see others also using dutch ovens. There are many chili verde recipes. I make one with no broth but use crushed tomatillos, but you are 100% correct---my version will scorch on the bottom if there is too much heat. I usually cook it low and slow with the dutch oven setting on the fiebox of my offset. Witk legs on the dutch oven-the pot is just far enough from the heat source to simmer slow. Biscuits are my weakness and I use sourdough and I slather the biscuits with butter and jalapeno jelly or I smother them with "Red Eye Gravy" Your posts are gonna cause me to leave my diet for at least one meal---good cookin. I hope you entered the cast iron throwdown with that
You are making me HUNGRY!! Funny thing is, I've only made bisquits and cornbread a couple times and mostly in the skillet inside the gasser. It had never occurred to me to try the lid from the Dutch on the skillet since they are different brands. Now that I know the lid fits, I'm just gonna use the coals instead of the gasser. While I've used the DO's for stews and chilis, I'm barely getting into using em for desserts and baking. But I'm getting there. They also make for a nice roasted chicken too. And yes, I did enter the TD. I've got a few threads out there about the DO's.
How bout sharing you Red Eye Gravy recipe if it's not Top Secret....:becky:

Thanks again Everyone!

Bob

Nice looking' bowl of green! Those bisquits look great, too!

Hey Bob, That looks wonderful. Could you link the build of your in-ground pit. I am having trouble locating it.

Hey Bob, That looks wonderful. Could you link the build of your in-ground pit. I am having trouble locating it.

I don't think I created a thread about it. I built it before becoming a member here. There is a post of mine somewhere that has simple measurements and an overall description of the build process, but I can't find it. I'll take some measurements tonight and post back here.
Bob

I don't think I created a thread about it. I built it before becoming a member here. There is a post of mine somewhere that has simple measurements and an overall description of the build process, but I can't find it. I'll take some measurements tonight and post back here.
Bob

Thats probably what I'm thinking of. Thanks Bob!

Okay, here are the inside measurements. I worked from the inside out. The inside length is 4' and wide/deep is 3'. The foundation is 9" wide all around and 3" thick. I went with a 9" wide foundation because a regular brick is about 3" wide and the rock I used was on average 3-4" thick. I put the inside brick course flush with the inside edge of the foudation and the outside rock face flush with the outside edge of the foudation, so in the center I was left with a 2-3" gap that I filled with cement and al the rock chips, brick chips etc. I wanted a very solid center. This is the first and so far only brick, rock and mortar thing I've ever built. I may have over done it, but it's solid. I buried rebar and mesh in the foudation. The brick is two courses high. The top is flagstone I believe. I don't remember the name of the two rock types I use for the outside. I just took my time building it. It's made for some great memories in the backyard. If you have any other ?'s, just lemme know.

Bob
Here are some pics of the first time I used it. They show the sides pretty well.

4504647458_614d9e3cde_o.jpg

4504647504_056a9d4233_o.jpg

4504014849_d641ecddc3_o.jpg

Last edited:
Back