Home Made Sausages!

J

japhroaig

Some of these will be hitting the smoker tomorrow, but I just wanted to show off some of these *delicious* pork sausages that just came out of the stuffer. They are similar to traditional British bangers, but they also have home grown sage, rosemary, lemon thyme, home made chicken stock, and a small amount of red wine. I used 40mm casings, and they turned out beautiful. This time, the wife even helped out, and we probably had way too much fun with juvenile jokes about 'sausage making' :D

If ya want the basic recipe, it's at my blog via my signature (cheeseaday), or I can post it here if there is an appropriate place. Cheers!!

Attachments

• IMG_0719.jpg
    IMG_0719.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0724.jpg
    IMG_0724.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0731.jpg
    IMG_0731.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 100
Looks great and be glad you have a wife with a sense of humor not everyone has that.:-D

I always forget to photograph the cooked sausage, they (the two I tested) looked and tasted great. Browned great, and unlike traditional bangers they didn't explode :D

man those look fabulous!!!!! was gonna comment on "banger", "exploding" etc...but I'd just end up in the penalty box, LOL

The base recipe is quite simple:

• 5lbs good quality pork shoulder, not trimmed of fat
  • 1 1/2 cups plain bread crumbs
  • 1 1/4 chicken stock
  • 40 grams salt
  • 10 grams black pepper
  • 10 grams nutmeg
  • A small handful fresh sage
  • 10 grams smokey chile powder
And in this batch I added a large fist full of fined minced lemon thyme and rosemary, and a generous portion of garlic salt. The bread crumbs, or 'rusk' as it is called for bangers, plus the addition of of chicken stock seems to be the defining characteristic of an British banger.

And why do they call them bangers? Story is that during the war they added so much liquid to them since they didn't have much meat they would explode when you cooked them :D

Back