ribs for shipment

big blue bbq

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I am getting ready to cook some ribs this weekend and would like to ship them from TN to CT. I have a vacuum sealer at the house. Plan is to cook on Saturday morning, vacpak, freezer until Monday morning, and then get some dry ice and a cooler. Tape it up good and ship it ups or fedex. Any thought or cautions about this:confused:? I would hope it could eventually lead to something else other then just Christmas gifts.:p

I am getting ready to cook some ribs this weekend and would like to ship them from TN to CT. I have a vacuum sealer at the house. Plan is to cook on Saturday morning, vacpak, freezer until Monday morning, and then get some dry ice and a cooler. Tape it up good and ship it ups or fedex. Any thought or cautions about this:confused:? I would hope it could eventually lead to something else other then just Christmas gifts.:p

Jack Stack BBQ ships nationwide. You might call and get a tip or two on how they do it.

make sure the dry ice can breath, you don't want exploding ribs eveywhere.

I used to ship uncooked ribs and chops from Iowa to Boston on UPS. Don't know if the rules have changed, but dry ice was considered hazardous and could not be shipped by air.

I would freeze stuff individually, then wrap in plastic, then in a double layer of newspaper. Put foam peanuts in the bottom of an old Omaha Steaks foam shipping cooler, then the meats, a freeze pack or two, and then more peanuts.

Originally, I shipped overnight, but then I went to second day with no problems. My UPS location was open until 8PM, so I would drop of the package just before 8, and it would be on the plane by midnight. By dropping it late, it didn't sit on their dock all day. Even in the heat of summer, ribs and chops arrived in good condition, still frozen.

Chris

I have shipped vac pak ribs, pork and brisket many times to CT, NY and MA. I do not freeze the product. I simply place them in a plastic yard bag with about 5 pounds of dry ice, roll this up and place in box with bubble wrap. Send overnite from NC. Never had any problems this way.

Talk to UPS or Fedex about it and see what their rules are. As far as selling food across state lines - you need to talk with the USDA about that. Without all the right inspections and federal permits you are in violation of many federal laws and could face serious fines at a minimum.

Thanks for the advice. At the moment, no selling going on, but I will definately keep that all in mind. Too bad our government makes doing anything that they could make extra money off of too hard to do! I don't take sides, they all pretty much suck equally!

Back