Brisket and Butts

Cliff H.

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Starting later than I would like so I am going to have to run a little hot. Two 10lb butts on the bottom and 11lbs of Angus on the top. All of it has to be on the table at Church around 11:30.

On at around 9:00pm.

DSC03663.jpg

DSC03666.jpg

Cliff, you're fine. We do butts and brisket at 300+ when time is an issue and they come out great. May be 5-7 hours so you will have to check early in the morning. Foil and stick in a cooler until time for serving at church. You may want to rotate the meat about halfway through. No hill for a climber bro!

Beef comes up out of the danger zone very fast. Once it hits the plateau however, it stalls for a long time. Before I went to bed the brisket and butts had been on for about three hours. The brisket was already up to 160 internal.

The pork was hanging back at 130. I turned off the probe on the brisket and turned in. At 5:00am the brisket had moved a whopping 15 deg.

Everything is in foil now and the heat is cranked up a bit.

Early morning butt pics just before foiling. I should also note that my uds has been running solid at around 260 since 9:00 last night.

DSC03670.jpg

DSC03671.jpg

Last edited:
Nice color! I normally put pork over beef because I don't mind having the pork juice basting the beef, but I don't like beef juice basting the pork.

Nice color! I normally put pork over beef because I don't mind having the pork juice basting the beef, but I don't like beef juice basting the pork.

I gave some thought as to which I would put on top. I figured that the beef would lose less fat plus I was trying for a somewhat crisp bark but not as much as the bottom of the grate fat up would produce.

I did hesitate because of the differences in the rubs. More salt on the beef and heavy turbinado on the pork.

Everything is in the cooler as of 8:15am. I was very impressed with how my butt ugly uds handled this time around. I filled the extra tall basket with lump, about 9 lbs worth.

I didn't have to so much as bang the ashes down the whole cook.

looking so good! The church folks are going to love it. I want to go to your church!

Back