Started reading this thread and needed to built a drum smoker since page 4. Question I bought the cheepo uni flame walmart 22.5 grill and the lid just about fits. Do i bent the crimp on the lid straight out and let it sit flat on the lip of the drum or does it have to over lap the lip of the drum in some way to lock it down? If I straighten it out it looks like it will sit right on the top of the drum lip.

Thank you

IMG_3376.jpg
IMG_3375.jpg

That is the one i have on mines. and I have a little bit of both going. First I flattened it completely, and let it rest on the top of the drum. but it got too hard to regulate temp because not a good seal. so then i tried to bend it to fit. and the lip is not quite big enough to fit all around, so half of it is bent, and the other half lays flat. on the flat portion, i have a couple various clamps that i use to clamp it down to give it a good seal.

Does that make any since?

This is the greatest thread ever, I finally finished the whole thing (took me over 3 days).

I now have almost all of the parts for my build, am picking up a drum tomorrow from the manufacturer ($35 new OT unlined)

I will post pics as soon as possible.

Thanks to the mods and everyone on the forum who has contributed to this thread.

Cheers

deviation in measurements?

All,

Just a few items:

1) could everyone with a 55 gallon smoker please post the inside depth (from bottom of drum to lip where lid sits and the diameter of your drum? With all the talk about how a weber lid does or doesn't fit I would like to see what the deviation is.

2) I have heard alot about flipping the meat although with my current smoker (just a small vertical with propane burner then wood holder then water pan I have never flipped. What my current idea is is to have a rack just above the charcoal basket with a large disposable lasagna pan (ie the tin foil ones you can buy at any grocery store) filled with water/wine etc. Will that reduce the need to flip the meat?

3) How many people have more than 1 rack? I would like to put multiple racks in (or at least have the hardware in if I need extra volume) and I can understand why you would want a certain distance if its just the food above the coals but once again does the water pan help to mitigate the high direct heat so that multiple grills would work?

Thanks for any info.
Obnepec

uniflame non-lid lid

Started reading this thread and needed to built a drum smoker since page 4. Question I bought the cheepo uni flame walmart 22.5 grill and the lid just about fits. Do i bent the crimp on the lid straight out and let it sit flat on the lip of the drum or does it have to over lap the lip of the drum in some way to lock it down? If I straighten it out it looks like it will sit right on the top of the drum lip.

Thank you

[FONT=&quot]FLSmoker, i had bought the uniflame grill and had the same issues as you with the lid. i bent, beat, tortured, and shed tears over the lid not fitting well.

instead of using the lid, here's what i did:

i put the original flat lid back on the drum, and pounded it into place so that it would not come loose. then i took a sawzall and cut a hole in it, leaving a 1" lip. i took the bottom part of the grill, and VOILA - it was a perfect fit. i found a stove pipe joint and flange, and with a few bolts have an airtight lid. now i need to find a 4" damper for that exhaust, a lid handle or two, and the "snork" (as i call it) will be complete. i think the lower part of the uniflame is a heavier gauge than the lid; just something to think about.

note - it is a big 4" exhaust, but i've managed to use a magnet as a damper for the time being. in combo with the 3/4" pipe nipple and ball valve my UDS has held 225 for ~6hrs, the longest smoke i've done on it to date (beef ribs below)...

img00198ypm.jpg

img00211d.jpg

[/FONT]

Thank you

My drum is an open top type that has the flat lid and lock ring.
I have a UniFlame as well, first tried to bend out to go over the drum lip. Didn't work.
Then I bent inward a little and with some persuasion it fit nice an tight inside and rests on the support bolts for my top grate.
Couple of the UniFlame and orginal top.
IMG_2116.jpg

IMG_1998.jpg

IMG_1984.jpg

[FONT=&quot]instead of using the lid, here's what i did:

i put the original flat lid back on the drum, and pounded it into place so that it would not come loose. then i took a sawzall and cut a hole in it, leaving a 1" lip. i took the bottom part of the grill, and VOILA - it was a perfect fit. [/FONT]

That's basically what I tried explaining. It's better with pics.

How would you attach your 12" deep fryer thermometer if it doesn't have a threaded stem and locking nut? The one I have is a TruTemp 12"

Just used a drill press to drill a hole (barely larger than the therm) through the center of a 3/4" bolt, secured that with a flat washer and nut. Used the pot/kettle clamp to keep the therm in place during the cooks.
IMG_1988.jpg

Remember, no pics, it didn't happen. :-D

Iam cooking ribs right now and Iam eaten tonight! Thanks to all of you for helping me get this smoker project done and working. The reason for the tin foil is that I don't want to hammer up my Weber lid. I'am still looking for a used one for the UDS.

Last edited:
How would you attach your 12" deep fryer thermometer if it doesn't have a threaded stem and locking nut? The one I have is a TruTemp 12"

This is what I used. The no drill method. The brass thing is some kind of water line fitting. Got it at HD. $1.72

PICT0002-9.jpg

All,

Just a few items:

1) could everyone with a 55 gallon smoker please post the inside depth (from bottom of drum to lip where lid sits and the diameter of your drum? With all the talk about how a weber lid does or doesn't fit I would like to see what the deviation is.

2) I have heard alot about flipping the meat although with my current smoker (just a small vertical with propane burner then wood holder then water pan I have never flipped. What my current idea is is to have a rack just above the charcoal basket with a large disposable lasagna pan (ie the tin foil ones you can buy at any grocery store) filled with water/wine etc. Will that reduce the need to flip the meat?

3) How many people have more than 1 rack? I would like to put multiple racks in (or at least have the hardware in if I need extra volume) and I can understand why you would want a certain distance if its just the food above the coals but once again does the water pan help to mitigate the high direct heat so that multiple grills would work?

Thanks for any info.
Obnepec
1.33.5x22.5 ID, 33.5x22.5ID, 34.5x22.5ID
2. I don't flip- never seen the need with the UDS. No water pan as the UDS maintains moisture fine as is and I don't need anything dripping down off the lid. Part of the flavor of a UDS comes from fat dripping on the fire.
3. I have two racks as there are occasions when I want to catch some fat drippings to make a gravy. If I'm cooking more than a rackfull its because I have two barrels going

I've been using the Uniflame clone lid and parts for about a year now, and am having very good luck.

I really like the hinges.

I built my drum upside down and the lid sits right on top of the "bottom" rim. I didn't bend the edges but very little to match the drum rim. After a few smokes you get enough seasoning built up that it seals it pretty well.

It's all here in my blog.

www.uglydrumsmoker.blogspot.com

Jerry

Thanks for all the help everyone, I'm not the handiest guy around so bare with me through all my questions, I will post pics shortly, I'm starting my build on Friday. I just received my donor lid and cooking grates tonight. I'm fairly sure they are from the first Weber grill ever made and have been sitting in a shed out in the country for a loooong time. What is the best way to clean old grill grates and the inside of the lid? I think I remember reading spraying with oven cleaner and sealing up in a garbage bag and leaving them out in the sun for a day. Does this work? is there a better way?

I've used the oven cleaner and trash bag. After soaking, I put them in my dishwasher. Works pretty well. I don't know about the lid, I guess oven cleaner and a high pressure wash, the local car wash perhaps?

I am building a UDS and just cut off the top since I plan to use a Weber kettle lid. My question is regarding the exhaust vent on the Weber lid....is it big enough? Or do I need to add another exhaust vent to it? Do you guys who use the kettle lids modify them for more exhaust?

Also, the barrel had some iso-butyl-something-or-other alcohol in it and is unlined. Alcohol is VERY volatile and there is no longer any odor just from being open a couple hours. Should I still burn it out or just season it at a fairly high temp? I am hoping to avoid taking a wire brush to the inside and outside of the thing if possible.

I will take pics and post up when I complete the project.

Thanks!

I found that my drum doesn't like to run above 200 with the weber lid on, with standard exhaust. If I put the flat lid, with 2 in exhaust on, it takes off to higher temps. I was at the local Ace hardware store/ weber dealer and ask if they had an extra lid for sale. They had a scratch and dent model, with thermo in handle, wanted $18 for it. SOLD. Brought it home and added another vent from the WSM replacement parts inventory that I have. Now I have over 3.5 sq. in. of exhaust instead of 3.14 sq in. Haven't tried it yet. Will post pics of mod, wife has camera today at work.

I measured my barrels this weekend while I was plotting where various holes are going. My barrel diameter is 23 1/2" so I need to come up with something for a modified dome lid. I've seen it before where you could just buy replacement weber kettle lids but I can't remeber where it was. HELP!!!! LMAO.

Check with your local weber dealer. I found a scratch and dent for $18.

I feel like a traitor!

Being from Louisiana I am for LSU all the way, I even have a purple UDS, I have posted a picture of it before. I had the LSU smoker at the office cooking ribs one Friday and the postman just happened to delay delivery until time to eat!! It so happens he hates LSU (Damn him) So he wanted me to to build him a Florida Gators UDS, It went against everything I believe in But I did it anyway. Here is a few pictures of it for all the Florida brethen. You cant see it but it has a 3/4 ball valve on a 24" pipe on the back.

Attachments

• P1010026.JPG
    P1010026.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,235
  • P1010027.JPG
    P1010027.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,233
  • P1010028.JPG
    P1010028.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,233
  • P1010029.JPG
    P1010029.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,234
HEADRUSH
Thanks for the idea for where you put the snorkle I went to the hardware store and bought a electric range reflector bowl that sits under the electric elements on a electric stove and it has two smaller holes that I will use magnets on. Looks cool its crome and upside down on top looks cool.Maybe use a elecrical junction box cover on top and one screw so i can adjust air flow

[FONT=&quot]FLSmoker, i had bought the uniflame grill and had the same issues as you with the lid. i bent, beat, tortured, and shed tears over the lid not fitting well. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]instead of using the lid, here's what i did: [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]i put the original flat lid back on the drum, and pounded it into place so that it would not come loose. then i took a sawzall and cut a hole in it, leaving a 1" lip. i took the bottom part of the grill, and VOILA - it was a perfect fit. i found a stove pipe joint and flange, and with a few bolts have an airtight lid. now i need to find a 4" damper for that exhaust, a lid handle or two, and the "snork" (as i call it) will be complete. i think the lower part of the uniflame is a heavier gauge than the lid; just something to think about.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]note - it is a big 4" exhaust, but i've managed to use a magnet as a damper for the time being. in combo with the 3/4" pipe nipple and ball valve my UDS has held 225 for ~6hrs, the longest smoke i've done on it to date (beef ribs below)... [/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back