Brisket...

thenewguy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I tanked it at my first comp this weekend...37 out of 39.
I was really happy with it, jucy,tender, good color and nice overall.
Looking back, I think I blew it because I didn't put a sauce on it. I thought the meat tasted great on it's own.
So, if anyone's willing to throw me a bone-do you sauce the brisket or send it in naked?

I don't sauce the slices but I dip them in some of the doctored up juices from the foil. I'll lightly sauce any chunked points if I choose to include them.

Don't stress too much yet and don't make too many tweaks the next time out except maybe a ligh coating of sauce on the slices or dipping them in the juices.

See how that goes and if you tank again... may need to re-work the recipe.

Do you have the judging scores from this category for us to review ? possibly a pic ?

We sauced ours for the first time in our last comp. Placed 15th out of 57 teams. Did you cook a flat or packer?

We also dipped in our juice!

Last edited by a moderator:
I do the same as Vinny. No sauce in slices. I also lightly coat chunks of point with sauce.

I dipped in juice, after looking at the pics today,I noticed the "spots" on the meat-you know the dripping specks you get. I never thought about those,I was so excited about the flavor and texture I guess.Scores were 766,666,686,676,766,766. So basically a solid 6. I guess I need to try some winnig brisket!

Attachments

• DSC03309.jpg
    DSC03309.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 173
Thanks,that's kinda what I was thinkin'!
I'm usually my worst critic,and I was happy with this one.
I thought my ribs were horrible and they did 24th LOL!
You guys were'nt kiddin about second guessing yourselves on the ride home!
I guess I just need shorter roadtrips so that I don't have as long to think about it.

Dang... maybe you just got a tough table of judges. That looks really good!!!

Very hard table of judges, appearance to me would have been an 8. We have a thin finishing sauce that we use to help it look moist. But then again our worst scores was when I insisted on putting burnt ends in the box. Others are slam dunk when they put in burnt ends, but not me. You have to remember, the more cuts of meat you put in the box the more you are asking the judges to take into consideration. So if the slices were great and the ends were dry then that could have been marked down.
This is just my 2 cents here, I would hang with what you are doing for the next comp and see what happens. I think it might just be a table of tough judges.

I don't know...that brisket looks really nice. Because it's not in the light, it looks dark, but again, the camera plays some tricks with different lighting.

Don't beat yourself up. That same brisket will probably land in the top somewhere next time.

Looks nice Mike, a little dry looking but that could be the picture.

Like Roo said. If both pieces are not equal, it could hurt you. It's hard to make that judgement call at the time.

I feel ya on the second guessing yourself. That'll last about a week or until your next comp.

We placed 11th out of 52 at Sugar Creek last weekend with no sauce. It was so juicy we didn't think it needed any. four judges loved it and two thought it was OK.

Looks like a great turn in to me! Keep it up it will work out.

I feel ya on the second guessing yourself. That'll last about a week or until your next comp.
Crap! My next contest is a month away!!
The warden came home today and noticed that I had read the scores(again) today. She just grined and said-it's killin you ain't it?
I'm really pretty happy overall-I do see some things I can improve on-thanks for the input guys!

Run it past at least more judging table before tweaking anything. Some days, you just get a bad table.

I dipped in juice, after looking at the pics today,I noticed the "spots" on the meat-you know the dripping specks you get. I never thought about those,I was so excited about the flavor and texture I guess.Scores were 766,666,686,676,766,766. So basically a solid 6. I guess I need to try some winnig brisket!
thats a damn good looking box IMO
those appearance scores are head scratchers..spots and all..
I usually mix a bit of sauce with the juices and put a light coat on the slices

Back