Shredded beef Q

jamus34

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I made Pepper Beef stout yesterday which came out pretty good for a first attempt.

I also was trying to make shredded beef (as I had 2 chuckies) however it didn't reach the level of being able to shred.

When you are cooking a chuck to make shredded beef is it supposed to be the same way as doing a shoulder or is it different?

I think I might not have cooked it long enough as I was starting to run out of fuel (used lump instead of briqs in the WSM) but I was wondering what changes need to be made compared to cooking a pork shoulder.

I've never done a chuck, but have done a brisket like that. And I always try to cook my brisket to that "probe tender" feel.

Did 10-12 lbs of chuckies yesterday on BGE and they were the best I've done. Eacn was 3-4 lbs injected with Butchers Prime Brisket Injection and rested 4 hours before coating with Tasty Licks Black Barts. Cooked at 275 for about 3+ hours until 165-170 degrees, then placed in foil pan and covered with HD foil. Continued cooking for another 2.5 hours (205 degrees) when probed like butter and set for 3 hours in blankets/cooler before pulling.

Every piece of meat is differant but 6-7 hrs @ 250ish and it seems to shred for me.

Back