Desert Dweller's first Competition

Desert Dweller

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I was invited to join AZBarbeque as a team member (pb) for the Williams, AZ Comp. I never knew. I never knew there was soooo much work involved, so much money invested, etc., etc.. I think, if memory serves me, we placed 19th from a field of 28, and I guess that ain't too bad for a team who had never cooked together with a pitmaster who was mastering his first competition pit. I had fun, in an exhausted & physically :sick:debilitated way...

The pictures are of the Team; Don, Phil (PM), me and Jerry. Then Phil and Don in conference discussing the secrets of our success. Then a couple of rare shots of me working. A couple shots of the cooker, it's a very nice DiamondPlate Brand. Also included is a picture of the JA BBQ Team's Mascot. Many pictures were taken of this Mascot, caught in staged compromising positions with several of the contestants sometime after the Midnight Appetizer (and booze) Party... No, I did not get caught in such a pose, I was just waking up at the motel to return to the comp for night shift duty...

Attachments

• WilliamsComp 014.jpg
    WilliamsComp 014.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 163
  • WilliamsComp 008.jpg
    WilliamsComp 008.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 163
  • WilliamsComp 007.jpg
    WilliamsComp 007.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 163
  • WilliamsComp 006.jpg
    WilliamsComp 006.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 163
  • WilliamsComp 012.jpg
    WilliamsComp 012.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 162
  • WilliamsComp 011.jpg
    WilliamsComp 011.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 161
  • WilliamsComp 015.jpg
    WilliamsComp 015.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 162
Phil needs to cut away from himself!!!:shock:.

I assume other than a few brain cells, there were no injurys so looks like a good time. Congrats on your first comp!

Draining; absolutely! Welcome to the group of nuts! Did 'ya have fun?

We usually do. Honestly, the little down time after final turn-in to awards
I use it to clean up (obviously) then run around the event and see stuff,
otherwise I'd fall asleep (being completely exhausted).

Hook, line and sinker!! Yep, your HOOKED!! :thumb: Looks and sounds like you had a blast!!:clap2::cool::clap2:

Nice pics! Is that a little portable water heater I see using the small propane tanks? Who makes that? Coleman? I'll google as well.

Thanks for the pics Bo, I'm glad you enjoyed it. :wink: BTW whats your new Brethren Team name going to be? :thumb:

Nice pics! Is that a little portable water heater I see using the small propane tanks? Who makes that? Coleman? I'll google as well.

Yes, it's a Coleman. They make 2 models. One requires a water hose connection, the other will pump out of most any container. You can also get an adapter for the 20lb tanks (the little ones get expensive)

Great looking pics and that had to be a blast to do we are still waiting to do our first one and yes money is the factor

Yessir, comps are a different breed of BBQ. Still looks like a good time.

Comps are a totally different beast that just hooked me to.

Get on that hog and come to Michigan. You can cook with me anytime.

That's some mighty red looking garlic...

Bo's timeline went something like this .....

Saturday afternoon: "I'm beat" :sick:

Sunday afternoon: "Never again - that's too much work!" :crazy:

Thursday evening: "Where's the BullSheet, I'm gonna check out some comps" :thumb:

Back