Next for txschutte? Brick and Mortar?

You only live once, and you may never have this chance again! :cool: I hope this works out for you! I'm pulling for you! :smile:

Hey Shane, I was talking about this deal with a friend out here who owns 4 restaurants, one of which is a BBQ place. He couldn't believe the deal you had in front of you in terms of rent and space. His thought was that if you are already paying for a commercial kitchen, and the numbers are even close, this is too good a deal to pass up.

I just got back from looking at the place with the HD inspector present....

What's Home Depot got to do with this?
That's where I won't be buying most of the stuff I need to do a few upgrades to the building.

The attorney should have a copy of the lease on his desk Monday morning, so, with any luck, and legalities are ironed out....

I could be the proud tenant of my own building by the end of next week!!:eusa_clap

If you can't find a good construction supervisor/management type person let me know...

I thought of hiring Bubba, but he won't take "aged" brisket for payment.

You could get Billy to come down and help you out. Maybe he's still got the pink RV you could use as a construction office. I mean it is a Beauty Parlor...

Billy doesn't love me anymore. He won't return my calls.

See what you've done, Larry??

I was just starting to heal! Then you come along and rip open the scabs on a day that is supposed to be special!!!

:rolleyes:

Billy doesn't love me anymore. He won't return my calls.

See what you've done, Larry??

I was just starting to heal! Then you come along and rip open the scabs on a day that is supposed to be special!!!

:rolleyes:

I'm sorry...

I think you should go for it....... as long as you can afford to fail without putting your family on the street, or in serious debt. An opportunity like this may not come around again.

Good luck!

Just my 2 cents, You want a Take Out Place for now. If you wanted a sit down in the future what did the HD say about bathrooms, Handicap Accessible ETC... I seen business's here that were not resturants being required to jump thru all sorts of hoops and spend enormous amonts of cash just to satisfy the different inspectors. Is the signage, electric and Plumbing Etc... up to code as well? Is high speed internet available?

Just my 2 cents, You want a Take Out Place for now. If you wanted a sit down in the future what did the HD say about bathrooms, Handicap Accessible ETC... I seen business's here that were not resturants being required to jump thru all sorts of hoops and spend enormous amonts of cash just to satisfy the different inspectors. Is the signage, electric and Plumbing Etc... up to code as well? Is high speed internet available?
According to the codes, take out or sit down, it would fall under the same rules for ADA. Since the building is "grandfathered", meaning it was built and had no structural modifications since being built before the ADA standards came into place, i can exclude myself from these for now. However, should I decide to change the front door, I will have to update the whole building to ADA codes.(Which, to be honest, doesn't amount to much.)

Plumbing and electrical are modern, floor sinks and triple basins are in working order. I would need to move my SS tables and fridge into it and satisfy equipment standards to get my license. The would-be dining area needs to be updated and I may actually have to spend some money on flooring and decor, maybe even the serving counter I would need to be able to present a product.

The real question will be the Fire Marshall meeting I have next week. I insisted upon this due to my want of mounting the smoker inside, to be vented outside for security reasons. If the smoker inside is a no go, I will have to figure a way to secure the smoker at night while in operation. The drawback to that is another cost of running electricity to an outside receptacle with a manual cutoff.

I haven't even seen the lease at this point, so I'm trying not to get wound up just yet. The fine print and other details could tank this altogether.

I'm glad to hear you took the lease to your attorney. Whenever I have taken real estate documents to my lawyer, he's always found something that he felt was unfavorable to me. He's saved me more than his fee every time.

Hope your meeting with Fire Marshall goes well. If there isn't one installed there already, ask about fire suppression systems. A deep fryer can make you good money.

Chris

How did everything turn out for you? Hopefully you got the approval from your friend at the HD.

Hope you everything is working out or you. No posts in a while maybe you are too busy selling Q to update us (that would be great!).

We are still trying to iron out some details in the contract. The owner, of course, is balking at some of my requirements. One of which I plan to take a hard stand on. If it all doesn't work out, I am prepared to upgrade the trailer and move on.

Shane - Aside from all the financial pro/cons, please just make sure you are factoring in your time investment and any impacts it may have on being away from your family...

Good Luck...

Yup weekends holidays and evenings...

I would give it a year if you don't have to give up the day job. Hopefully you can get some good help, that will make the difference.

You gonna be able to serve beer? That would have to be a requirement for me. That way the waitstaff can make some money and stick around for a while.

I don't own a restaurant so I have always wondered about the cost of the liquor liscense and insurance when you serve liquor.

I have owned a few small businesses that were very profitable with low overhead and over the years have kept my job with the federal gov't. The best part has been when the market changes I just step away and I am usually tired of what I was doing by then anyway. Just something to think about.

800 Sq Ft total? How much of that would be dedicated to the kitchen? Is there a place for the smoker out back?

Remember this one? "Three things that make a successful business are location, location, location."

Back