Entering Competitions?

Pa_BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Do some competitions offer an amateur class, I would love to enter some small competitions but have never competed and not ready for the big dogs. :)
It would be fun to experience though and meet others who are experienced doing it.

Also does anyone know of any competitions in the northwestern PA, southwestern NY areas?

Pa,
Just find a local comp and enter it. That's what I did.
I went as a spectator once, and hung out with a couple of teams just to watch and see how everything got done. Finally I just decided to do one.
Cooked everything the same as I would cook it at home, got 2 calls, and finished 11th overall.
You will not be disappointed, but be prepared to do it again and again and again.

Just jump in with both feet. You maybe won't win or get a call but you'll have a great time, meet fantastic people and learn tons.

I agree. Jump in, make a goal just to meet all turn in times, and have fun.

For KCBS sanctioned events the best source of info if the KCBS web site. Some of these competitions also have an amateur or backyard category.

PA 2011 Competitions

Feel free to repeat the search on your own for other states. Also, this list will grow as we get closer to 2011

You should also check local BBQ groups like NEBS

You should also check local BBQ groups like NEBS

NEBS offers a lot of Backyard type contests. If you go on the web site and look under NEBS Events you can see the ones we had this year.

-Mike

Jump in and have fun! Most competitions have a "backyard" division, but even if they don't you can still enter. The "season" will start again in April across most of the country. Through the deep winter, most contests are in Florida and California but there are a few exceptions.

Be sure and read the rules, though! These can be found on the sanctioning website (KCBS, state assn.'s, etc.) or from the sponsor, usually. If you have any questions about them, pop them into this forum for experienced answers.

Hub

I know how you feel, I was scared to try and make a fool of myself.I did a backyard comp. this year. Now I'm hooked had a great time met some good people and learned a lot. The hard part for me was all my family and friends said my Q was good. I thought what else can they say they are eating for FREE. Its hard to put yourself out there to be honestly judged against others that seem like PROS. Believe me,you will have a GREAT time and everyone is just like you they love to make good BBQ and looking to get better. GO for it.
By the way, I finished 1st in appetizer, 2nd in Pork Steaks. 4th in Ribs, and 2nd overall. Like I said I'm hooked.l

You've gotten a ton of good advice here! We started by jumping right in, too.

Most teams are more than happy to see newcomers -- in our area we generally have new teams identify themselves at the cooks' meeting, so that we can give them a hand (applause) at the meeting and give them a hand (help) in the field if they need it. Everyone at comps is just like people here on the forum -- more than willing to answer questions, or share extra supplies if you've forgotten something, and invite you to the mid-morning good-luck shot.

Enter, have fun, practice first, have a plan, and execute it. If you executed your plan the way you wanted to, learned something, and had a blast, then you've achieved your goals for that contest!

Thanks everyone, as I browse over the website it looks like a lot of fun. It is probably like so many other things and the camaraderie with other people loving the same thing makes it so much fun.

No better place to start than Roc City Rib Fest in Rochester, NY over Memorial Day Weekend. A great contest put together by actual competitors who have seen the best and the worst the east coast has to offer. An open/backyard rib only comp the first day you can compete in and then hang out with the teams for the next day's full KCBS comp to get a feel. Shouldn't be too far a drive either.

I started last year and I was lucky enough to meet up with Ford down in Mobile AL and watch and help him. It was down hill from there I competed in over half a dozen comps this year as a pro and took home several trophies including a reserve grand. If you can find a brethren member close go and help out it will answer many questions you have about competing good luck

Last year there were a lot of new teams competing (at least one at every contest I did) and we were very supportive of them. If you forget something, at least one team will be there to help you out. The support is awesome and you will not be dissapointed. So please give it a go. The hardest thing you will run up against is the timing, a ten minute window feels like two minutes during the heat of a comp, so just practice, practice more, and practice once again. Hope to see you on the BBQ trail - happy smoking.

No better place to start than Roc City Rib Fest in Rochester, NY over Memorial Day Weekend. A great contest put together by actual competitors who have seen the best and the worst the east coast has to offer. An open/backyard rib only comp the first day you can compete in and then hang out with the teams for the next day's full class will be alot of fun. CBS comp to get a feel. Shouldn't be too far a drive either.

And there will be a class at Roc City also! I second that - great contest with multiple events , wade in as deep as you want, and you will be hooked!

I am definitely going to give it a try, hope to finally meet some of you guys who have helped so much in person.

You've gotten a ton of good advice here! We started by jumping right in, too.

Most teams are more than happy to see newcomers -- in our area we generally have new teams identify themselves at the cooks' meeting, so that we can give them a hand (applause) at the meeting and give them a hand (help) in the field if they need it. Everyone at comps is just like people here on the forum -- more than willing to answer questions, or share extra supplies if you've forgotten something, and invite you to the mid-morning good-luck shot.

Enter, have fun, practice first, have a plan, and execute it. If you executed your plan the way you wanted to, learned something, and had a blast, then you've achieved your goals for that contest!
Great post Alexa!..and we love that good luck shot!.I love hearing VQ's toasts..they are the best!

I did my first comp this last year and we had a blast! We got a call for forth place chicken, We were shocked that we got a call that good. We also got a call for pork an ribs. We bomb brisket but other than that we had a blast!
You should just jump in head first and don't look back. I know we haven't. We have bought a Backwoods Piglet on a trailer for the next year. We are hooked and I know you will be too!
Good luck!

I started last year and I was lucky enough to meet up with Ford down in Mobile AL and watch and help him. It was down hill from there I competed in over half a dozen comps this year as a pro and took home several trophies including a reserve grand. If you can find a brethren member close go and help out it will answer many questions you have about competing good luck
Are we going to see you this winter/spring? There's a super contest here in Lakeland the end of Jan and 2 weeks before my wedding. Maybe we could make it into a mini bachelor party so long as I have Carolyn along to get me going in time for ribs. I'm considering Mobile (just competing) and maybe Pensacola and Hammond and maybe a stop near you in April on the way to MI. Will probably do a couple of FBA's as well.

I was gonna do lakeland but I am in the middle of moving and I have a wine convention that same weekend. I will be sending my money in next week for mobile and hammond

Back