Temp control

LostSoul

Reaction score
Well i finished up my UDS and seasoned it last night. The temp never got over 300 with all 3 intakes open. What am i doing wrong? I put about 8 pounds of charcoal in the basket, started about 15 pieces in the chimney and poured over the top of the coals in the basket. Put the basket in the drum and put the lid on after about 10 minutes. Exhaust was wide open. What do y'all think?

Why would you want it over 300? Sounds nice and stable to me

Well I would like to smoke a turkey and from what i have read 350 is about where i need to be.

Open up lid for a few minutes and get some air in there. That will get more coals burning. Then close lid and see where she settles.

Im a new UDS user since last spring and mine has never rode above 320, even with lump. I use a Weber lid and have three 3/4'' intakes. Also Ive never tried to run it higher either, using the minion method to light the coals.

The UDS is beautiful when it chugs along at 275 with ribs or butt in it so I dont care to mess with my set up much either.

Smoke the turkey then finish in the oven has worked best on my practice runs.

Use more hot charcoal in the beginning. If you want to crack the 300's use a 1/2 chimney and leave the basket out of the drum for about 10 min> I use lump in my basket and briquettes to start it when the lump starts popin & sparkin steady the basket goes in the drum. YMMV

What's your exhaust setup on top? It's also possible you don't have enough airflow draw.

Also, when you ssay all three intakes open, do you mean do you have three 3/4" intakes plus a ball valve 4th intake? Or only 3 intakes total?

The lid has the 2" and 3/4" holes open and the drum has 3 intakes total. So if i leave the basket out of the drum on initial start up and let the coals catch on outside of the drum, they will burn hotter once placed inside the drum? Sorry if its a dumb question but i am completely green.

I have four 3/4 intake holes ~ You can always add another. I've gotten mine over 450 when I did the initial seasoning...

However, using more coals when starting should get you there too.

Don't fret the temps. If you can hold near 300* for the proper time (always cook to temp on poultry just to be safe) you should be fine. My wsm likes to hang out right near 240* and the turkeys always come out awesome.

The basic UDS design, which I believe yours is, was developed before temperatures above 300f were popular for smoking meat. UDSs were never meant to run that high. Some mods such as suggested above might be just the ticket for you.

Mine, which uses a BGE intake, has no trouble with higher heat cooks.

Back